Woodbury Common, Devon - Any good?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited January 2011 in Routes
Anyone ride Woodbury near Exeter? What kind of stuff is there? Much singletrack and any steeper bits?

Better than (the now very disappointing) Haldon?

Comments

• camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    I went there about 5 months back and was very disappointed but I had no idea where I was going I just followed a map I had found on the net and it was lots of sandy tracks and very hard to follow, this was prob due to me not knowing the area :oops: and not having the correct trail to follow
    I would go back again but would need someone with local knowledge to show me the good stuff or a good route to follow

PS did you get to Haldon with all the snow about?
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Anonymous
    Often the problem finding the trails. I'd heard that woodbury has many trails, but not sure what kind. If it's just gentle fireroad and woodland path kind of stuff it's not really my thing.

Looking to go up to Haldon tomorrow possibly. Just I was considering Woodbury instead if it's any good. Also considering Tavi Woodlands but I'm lacking a full face helmet, though there are some more XC bits about there, even one at Gawton apparently.

Not got many days though, just Thursday, Friday. Then next chance is probably Easter when I may be back down this way.
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    I am not about for the next few days else I would have meet up for a ride
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Anonymous
    No probs, I'll do some exploring myself I think. Next time I'm down might get a chance to meet up.

Found this on Woodbury which sounds okay: http://www.moredirt.co.uk/trail/United- ... rails/276/

But does sound like it's easy to get lost and miss the trails.
  • delaxm
    delaxm Posts: 180
    There is some good stuff at Woodbury, around the castle, quarry, & the woods bordering the open heath sections but as theres not much elevation gained or lost the ups & downs are short but very regular.
    That Moredirt description seems like it was written by an exciteable teenager after his first visit!
    As often is the case - local knowledge rules (I used to ride it a lot with a mate from Exmouth but he moved away in 2005)
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/11477831 looks like it covers some of the stuff we used to do but watch out as some of the gravel is like riding on marbles!