Tour of Flanders Full Distance Sportive

Cheeky
Cheeky Posts: 113
Hi,
We've completed the middle distance a couple of times and now fancy doing the full distance but we seem to be struggling to work out the logistics with regards to accommodation and getting to/from the start/finish!

Anybody got any tips or know of companies that organise these trips?

Ideally we'd like to do it ourselves as we'd like to stay until the Monday evening so we can do a few of the climbs on the Monday without the crowds of the Saturday!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Baxters do such a trip: http://www.sportingtours.co.uk/classics ... nders.html I went with them in 2007 and it was great. They didn't 'support' the full-length version but all that meant was that I had to make my own way to Brugge in the morning and back from Ninove in the evening but Belgian trains are great so no probs.

They bus you to various points of the pro race the next day too.
  • Cheeky
    Did you stay mid way between Brugge and Ninove or nearer to one of them? I guess that getting back from the finish might be less of a pain than trying to get to Brugge for an 0600 start?

Cheers
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    edited December 2010
    Yes we stayed in Gent, very nice, trains started nice n early, trains very bike-friendly but you gotta buy a ticket for your bike as well as yourself. You can buy in advance on the Belgian railways website (http://www.b-rail.be/main/E/).

We stayed in an Ibis in Gent. Did that twice. This year we stayed in Brugge, easier in the morning obviously but an extra 30 mins or so to get back in the evening. Gent is nicer than Brugge IMHO and had more places open to eat afterwards, a very important consideration after 160 miles.
  • 260km - it's gotta be done though!
  • Cheeky
    Thanks Andy,

great help, Ghent also near enough to Brugge to get the Pro start on the Sunday morning.

Cheers

Paul
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There is a bus service + bike trailer that leaves from Ninove to Brugges at 05:30 - doesn't get to the start until after 0700 by then all the big, fast groups have gone.

Alternatively, stay in Brugge and take the train back from Ninove.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..