hydro brakes. whats good and whats not?

Philz0r
Philz0r Posts: 56
edited December 2010 in MTB buying advice
hey guys, i've never had hydrolic brakes before and i'm looking into buying some.

i dont wana go crazy with money so does anyone have a good idea what to go for?

i've seen some clarks ones for about 44 pounds each but a couple of people say try to avoid clarks.

any help would be very greatful, thanks. x
t00t

Comments

• you can get juicy 3's for about that and they are pretty good, or tektro aigura comps too :)

i think the clarks skeletals got a really good review in mtbuk a while back, but never tried them myself.
  • Budget Avids are alright, good value for money. I've got a pair of 3 month old Hayes hydraulic disk (Stroker Ryde) going for cheap.

Going up the price range, Hope, Formula, Shimano.. in that order.

I just bought a pair of Avid Elixir CR and they're crap. Will replace them with Hopes in 6 months I reckon.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Shimano m595s doing alright for me. £108 from merlin at the moment.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • my mate said he would sell me his juicy 3's off his giant trance x3 for 80 notes. is that good xD?
    t00t
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Philz0r wrote:
    my mate said he would sell me his juicy 3's off his giant trance x3 for 80 notes. is that good xD?

Offer him £50 at the most, you can get a set new for under £100 and with a bit of shopping around you can pick up front and rear for under £40 each.

If it was my choice I would buy new as with all hydraulic brakes they don't last for ever.