Giant TCX 2 or Specialized Tricross - Good in Snow ????

Avoneer
Avoneer Posts: 525
edited December 2010 in Commuting general
Hi All,

My garage is getting a bit full now with my TT bike, my road bike and my MTB.

I only bought the MTB for the month or so of snow we get and it handles my 10 mile each way commute with ease, although so slow and sluggish compared to the road bike when the snow has gone.

Thinking of getting a Cyclo Cross bike and then selling both the MTB and my road bike.

Just wondering what they would be like in the snow with the right tyres.

Is the MTB so stable because it's so sluggish and the upright position and wide bars or is it all down to the knobbly tyres?

If I do go the Cyclo Cross route, my options are a Giant TCX or a Specialized Tricross.

There is the possibility of some cross races next year, but I'm ideally after a long term sturdy comfotable frame that can take chunky tyres.

Thanks,

Pat...
"Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"

Comments

• certinaly friends on cycleX bikes where if any thing better than my MTB on the snow we where mostly on, as there thinner tyres cut though better. as the MTB is hard work in snow though it does find traction at all points, but it's slow going.
  • Avoneer
    Cheer Roger - that's useful to know.

I do prefer drops and would get studded tyres for winter.

Which bike though ???

Arr...................................

Descicions...........

Pat...
    "Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"
  • Avoneer wrote:
    Hi All,

My garage is getting a bit full now with my TT bike, my road bike and my MTB.

I only bought the MTB for the month or so of snow we get and it handles my 10 mile each way commute with ease, although so slow and sluggish compared to the road bike when the snow has gone.

Thinking of getting a Cyclo Cross bike and then selling both the MTB and my road bike.

Just wondering what they would be like in the snow with the right tyres.

Is the MTB so stable because it's so sluggish and the upright position and wide bars or is it all down to the knobbly tyres?

If I do go the Cyclo Cross route, my options are a Giant TCX or a Specialized Tricross.

There is the possibility of some cross races next year, but I'm ideally after a long term sturdy comfotable frame that can take chunky tyres.

Thanks,

Pat...

Obviously I'm a little biased, but I happen to own two Tricross' one for touring/cyclocross and one specifically for riding in the winter (with fenders, upright position, the whole nine yards). I primarily run our Captain tires on the winter bike and have found it to be unbelievably stable. If you are riding mostly on snow or ice, there are some studded options out there that (although expensive) work very well.
  • Avoneer
    Cheers.

How have you found the frame size compared to road bikes?

I currently ride a 52cm (Giant Defy) and it's just right, but I've heard cross geometry is different.

Do I go for the 52cm Tricross or the one smaller than that?

Pat...

P.S. Swinging towards a Tricross 2010 Comp as the moment............
  • Avoneer wrote:
    Cheers.

How have you found the frame size compared to road bikes?

I currently ride a 52cm (Giant Defy) and it's just right, but I've heard cross geometry is different.

Do I go for the 52cm Tricross or the one smaller than that?

Pat...

P.S. Swinging towards a Tricross 2010 Comp as the moment............

I'm 5'10" and fall right on the line between a 54 and a 56 (according to our size chart anyway). I have found that I prefer a 54. Although the geometry is different, it seems to fit as comfortably as my road bike (also a 54)...
  • Avoneer
    Cheers.

Was bored today, so after a 1 hour trip to the Harrogate Concept Store, got sized up and ordered a Tricross Comp 2010.

Hope I'm not gonna regret this - it's the 1st £1k bike I've bought.

Pat...
  • Avoneer wrote:
    Cheers.

Was bored today, so after a 1 hour trip to the Harrogate Concept Store, got sized up and ordered a Tricross Comp 2010.

Hope I'm not gonna regret this - it's the 1st £1k bike I've bought.

Pat...

There's no way you're going to regret it. It's the only bike I've ever owned two of at the same time (and I've owned way too many bikes). I'm seriously in love with mine. Enjoy!!