A good bike mount for the iPhone 4

chris_bass
chris_bass Posts: 4,913
edited January 2011 in Commuting general
Hi

The subject pretty much covers it, I'm looking for a good weather proof handlebar mount for my iPhone, preferably one designed specifically for the iPhone 4' does anyone have one? I've read a few reviews of some but they are quite mixed although these seem to be the ones designed for the 3G version.

Thanks

Chris
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Comments

• A pocket then you will concentrate on the road not the phone
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,871
    Pocket is the best place, as the bars take a lot of stick & I wouldn't want that going through my phone!
  • If chris is using a bike with front suspension, for a commute the virbration should be fine, though need to be sure any mount really is weather proof, I assume it's so you can see speed/distance etc.

I would also worry about (for commute) some one just swiping it one was unlucky.
  • God - I've just posted this on another thread - I'm not a salesman - honest.

Dahon Biologic mount - waterproof case and mount - it rotates too.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Why do you want to mount your phone on the handlebars?

It seems to me, that as others have said, the best place for a phone is in your pocket
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    hi

thanks for the replies

i want tpo mount it to the handlebars as i want to use it as a gps cycle computer. I was looking at getting a gps cycle computer but didnt fancy shipping out £200+ for a decent cycle computer when my phone plus an app or two would do the job just as well!

mean red spider - i have seen that one but have heard reviews from a number of people saying that they have gpone over a few bumps and the phone has come out. i think this may be due to the fact that it was designed for the iphone 3 aND NOT 4.

and i do have front suspension so should hopefully stop some of the rattle on the phone!!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Bear in mind the battery would only last about 2 hours with GPS on.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Depends on the type of gps ? If it's just the one to record your distance and route - then you should get at least 6 hours out of it.
    If it's to navigate by - then I think it will go flat a lot faster.

I use mapmyrun and keep it in a plastic bag in the back pocket.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Jesus - answer the man's question FFS. If he wanted your advice on whether he should be using his iPhone at all he'd have asked for it.
  • ive got one, and its brilliant. bought it for me 3g iphone, but the 4 now fits in as well, and its never came out. its got a rubber casing in it so takes the vibration. recommended. saves having to buy a expensive cycle comp and does more than a £200 gps.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Jesus - answer the man's question FFS. If he wanted your advice on whether he should be using his iPhone at all he'd have asked for it.

a) your post does little to answer the op's question either - hypocrit?
    b) If we wanted you're advice on what to post, we would have asked for it
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Otterbox products are probably the way to go.

Oh and try Ram Mounts too.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    spen666 wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:

a) your post does little to answer the op's question either - hypocrit?
    b) If we wanted you're advice on what to post, we would have asked for it

Where did I say that people wanted my advice on what to post?
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    If you're commuting in London, then preferably don't mount it at all!

I want you to hear hear the lorry coming, and also when I swear at you if you cut me up :lol:
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02