Steel, titanium or carbon sportive?

gbr236
gbr236 Posts: 393
edited December 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi
I am signed up for 5 day sportive through the Pyrenees in the Autumn
I am looking to change my SL2 tarmac for something more comfy.
Please help me choose steel/titanium or should i stick with roubaix type carbon?
I am over 6ft and currently too heavy and jsut wonder how much 500g on a frame is relevant?

Thanks.......

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Depends on your weight, riding style and preferences - a big, heavy rider with a preference for gear mashing might find some titanium frames a bit too flexy. Likewise, 500g extra on a combined bike and rider of 90kg is only about 5% extra
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Depends on your budget but I would recommend you get something custom made - that way the framebuilder can make your frame as comfortable as you want.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • You have an SL2 tarmac but want something else for a five day sportive? That reasoning of yours is plain unsound.

I would be inclined to put the miles in and refine your position on the bike, getting one as comfortable as possible.
  • I would say the same... I got a titanium bike and I am pretty happy with it. But I think it only make a real difference in term of maintenance and appearance. I also got a carbon one and to be honest I climb as well with the two... Everybody claim that titanium absorb more the chock... I can't really tell...

The difference is more my shape than the bike.
    So yes... ride and get a few kilos off... Review your position... I am my self 6.6 so for example I had to put a stem with 17 degrees otherwise I just feel too much pain on my back...
    So focus on the position and not how the bike would look (I'd personally rather have a flat stem... But after 20 minutes I just can't stand it...).

Good luck
  • You have an SL2 tarmac but want something else for a five day sportive? That reasoning of yours is plain unsound.

I would be inclined to put the miles in and refine your position on the bike, getting one as comfortable as possible.

+1

how come your looking for a new bike whats the real reason for wanting a change ???.

If you do change my madone(58cm) is amazing im 6ft 1 and have smashed out 2157m climbs and raced on it. Also is comfortable on the long 100mile rides but if your SL2 is what you say not so comfy then maybe a arm chair with wheels would be down your street lol hahahaha
  • What 5 day sportive you doing in the Pyrenees? Just curious?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Stick with what you've got and go and get a bike fit from somewhere like www.cadencesport.co.uk

This will work wonders for your comfort on the bike!
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    The Tarmac. Isn't that the bike that Contador/Schleck etc rode thro' the Pyrenees? Sounds more like an issue with you than the bike. I have to agree with the above posts re position etc. It's also better and cheaper to lose weight from yourself than the bike. 500g is only 1 pound in weight whereas every kilo you can shed will be better.
    M.Rushton
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    I concur with everybody else. As long as your bike fits you, concentrate on developing your ideal riding position. i think that takes time and attention, but many advocate services like the one NapD linked to: give it a go- it has to be a better investment than a replacement bike.

Apart from that, fit 25mm tyres (assuming you currently have 23's). The larger air volume means they're more comfortable, grippier, and no slower-rolling.
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Likewise, 500g extra on a combined bike and rider of 90kg is only about 5% extra

Actually only 0.55% - which only reinforces your point, I'm just being pedantic :oops:
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • dcj
    dcj Posts: 395
    ...consider maybe you simply need more saddle time to allow the body to adapt :shock:

on the bike issue, borrow one and go for a long ride. then you will know for sure.
    the worst thing you could do is assume a new bike will solve the issue.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Stick with what you've got and go and get a bike fit from somewhere like www.cadencesport.co.uk

This will work wonders for your comfort on the bike!

/thread
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    A new bike may be the answer but I would follow some of the earlier advice first and have a bike fit session to ascertain if you have the wrong size/ profile frame for your shape. This should give you a much better idea on what changes will be needed to sort you out with an ideal frame (or merely tweak your existing bike).

Peter