Racing ralph/rocket ron

tofu21
tofu21 Posts: 359
edited December 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I'm thinking about tyre setup for next years events.

If the weather isn't great I'm thinking nobby nics front and rear or mud x if proper muddy.

If it's dry I am thinking of racing ralph on the front rocket Ron on the rear. Any thoughts is this is a good setup?

I'm doing MM, SITS, CRC marathons etc...

Comments

• If it's dry and your aiming for a top 3 spot and you're happy to run the gamble of punctures go for Rocket Rons, otherwise run Racing Ralphs tubless.
  • tofu21
    Just finishing s my normal goal. So Ralphs front and rear then?

Didnt know there were puncture issues with the rons.

I'm tubles already. Best thing I've done in a while....
  • I have been running a ron on the back now for 3 months and have had no issues so far!!!

I have also run teh ralph which is also great!
  • tofu21
    The next big question, which version of them to go for?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    John Moore wrote:
    If it's dry and you value lightweight and you're sensible enough to run tubeless go for a Rocket Ron on the front and a Furious Fred on the back.

That's better!

Rons are more fragile, but are lighter and grippier than Ralphs, albeit with slightly less tread on the shoulders. Wouldn't use them anywhere hugely rocky, but they're a very good all round tyre IMO. If it's really dry then you can't beat a Furious Fred on the back, they are seriously fast, but use the same carcass as the Ron, with a lot less tread.

All 2011 Schwalbes are Tubeless Ready, IMO if you don't go for the standard Evo version then there are better tyres out there, for me the advantage of Schwalbes is their light weight. The pre-2011 ones still work extremely well tubeless, apart from Mud Xs, Schwalbe's are all I own!