Specialized Camber Comp?

mossmotorsport
mossmotorsport Posts: 356
edited December 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys,

Got around £900 to spend on my first full suspension bike - hoping to upgrade from my Specialized Stumpjumper (05) hardtail. I keep looking at the Camber Comp - can pick them up second hand for around £900. I can't find any reviews on them though, have any of you guys ever riden one?

My other options are an older (08/09) FSR XC - I've been told I must get lock-out for the rear shock especially as it helps with riding up hills. Any input greatly appreciated...

Thanks!
Specialized FSR XC Expert 2010

Comments

• coxy17
    coxy17 Posts: 401
    the camber is the new 2011 version of the fsr

but i would get this its a steal at this price

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    The Camber is a new model for 2011, don't expect to find too many of them on the s/h market
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I've been told I must get lock-out for the rear shock especially as it helps with riding up hills.

Yes it does, well I find it helps a lot anyway even compared to the pro-pedal setting on my Triad unit.

I would highly recommend a lockout for those long fire road climbs, front doesnt matter so much.

But why only go for the Boardman FS Team when you can get the Pro '10 for a mere £1079, now thats a bargain.
  • there were a few cambers on eBay before xmas - but now there don't appear to be any on there. I know it's new for 2011 - so they will be hard to find second hand.

Is the boardman a better buy / better spec then for that price? (The £799 one on Halfrauds)
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    that boardman is pronominal value in every respect.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • jamLCFC
    jamLCFC Posts: 197
    joshtp wrote:
    that boardman is pronominal value in every respect.

Sorry mate i had to look that up.... :D

Pronominal can be used either to describe something related to a pronoun or to mean a phrase that acts as a pronoun in the context of nominal. An example of the second case is, "I want that kind". The phrase "that kind" stands in for a noun phrase, or nominal, that can be deduced from context, and is thus categorized as a pronominal. Similarly, the phrase "living there" is a pronominal in the sentence "Living there is very expensive". :shock:

:shock:

phe·nom·e·nal (f-nm-nl)
    adj.
    1. Of, relating to, or constituting phenomena or a phenomenon.
    2. Extraordinary; outstanding: a phenomenal feat of memory. :lol:
    3. Philosophy Known or derived through the senses rather than through the mind

===================================================================
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Compulsive tinkerer....my ideas far far outway my ability and that makes things costly !!
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    If you find decent, un-stolen camber comp for 900, you'll be doing well. For that money you would find good 09 stumpys probably though. As for a lockout, I used to have one on my fsr, and then changed the shock to an rp2, which has none. Missed the lockout? Not in the slightest. Lockout is a nice to have at best.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • I wasn't going to admit it - but I had to google "pronominal" too :-D

eBay seems a bit dull at the moment for used Spesh bikes, so hopefully in the new year more will appear. Just need to keep my eyes peeled! 8)
  • Why are you only looking at spesh bikes? you could get a kona abra cadabra on the road only ex demo for 1200 of moorcycles on eBay.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Not sure why I am looking just at Specialized - I'm open to suggestions :-D

People have mentioned Giant Trance models to me, but not sure what is really out there for my low budget..