Newbie - Equipment Advice Please

PapaLazar0u
PapaLazar0u Posts: 57
edited December 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

Just getting back into MTB after a 16 year break! Had my first ride out today (on the road due to the conditions) on my shiny new bike and have a couple of questions....

- My forks have lockout and due to being on the road i utilised it. It worked great but there was a slight clunk over bumps. The forks are SR Suntour XCM 100 mm travel. I know they are only entry level forks but is this normal?

- The front wheel rim is rubbing a little on the disc brake - is this normal due to bedding in or should i take it back to my bike shop to be looked at (it's due back after 6 weeks or so anyway for a service...)? Again - it didn't appear to hinder performance and it's only really noticeable when spinning the front wheel when stationary.....

Other than that all went well - thoroughly enjoyed myself and can't wait to get confident enough to start hitting the trails again!

Thanks in advance!

Craig

Comments

• nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    My Fox forks have lockout but they have a bit of give in them just in case you go over a bump which can make a little noise.
    Have you tried pedalling fast and then breaking quite sharply a few times to help bed the brakes in? Just don't brake so hard you skid and knacker you new tyres (or yourself)!
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • Pedal fast.....what's that??!!

Seriously - thanks for the reply. Your description of the forks problem sounds the same so quite relieved there.

I'm out again tomorrow morning so will have a play with the brakes then.

Cheers

Craig
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I have that same fork on my bike and get the clunk when it's locked out. No idea if there should be a clunk but yours isn't the only fork that makes the noise.
  • Cheers suzyb - i'm not the only one then....
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    I have that fork :(

Its as clunky as a clunky thing
  • clunky i can deal with - but does it break.....?
  • i have rock shox dart 3 forks that do the same when locked out, i asked the same question as you, and was informed by various parties, that it is normal. so i'm not gonna worry about it.
    as for the brakes, if your bike is new, the brakes will need to properly bed in. until they do, rubbing pads on discs is common and also nothing to worry about.
  • i have rock shox dart 3 forks that do the same when locked out, i asked the same question as you, and was informed by various parties, that it is normal. so i'm not gonna worry about it.
    as for the brakes, if your bike is new, the brakes will need to properly bed in. until they do, rubbing pads on discs is common and also nothing to worry about.
  • Thanks Phil - been out again this morning but no clunk.....not sure if it made any difference but the preload was open and i closed it off before setting off out today?

Pads still rubbing but going to give it a while to try and bed them in - did quite a lot of forced braking to try and hurry the process.

Problem i have now is my a*rse is killing :shock:

Cheers

Craig
  • Papa- even after my brakes were bed-in they very often rub against the rotor and I've found that adjusting the caliper mount (sometimes just a turn or even a half turn on with the allen key) or adjusting the quick release or a combination of the two can stop it.

Or it sometimes helps to undo the quick-release and then tighten it again when the bike is on it's wheels just to make sure that the wheels are properly sat in the mounts. You'd be surprised how often they are not fully pushed-in.

Or if the front rotor is rubbing I sometimes squeeze the front brake and then undo the QR on the front wheel and gently force it from side to side to push the pads back a little. Not sure if this is a reccomended thing to do but it often works for me and it doesn't seem to affect the braking power. Obviously just make sure everything's tightened up properly again though when you're finished.

At the end of the day I don't think it actually really matters if the pads are rubbing the rotor a little bit as they're meant to be very close but I'm pretty anal about these things and that shing-shing-shing noise really winds me up after a bit when riding :roll: :D