Limar pro 104 helmet

seanoconn
seanoconn Posts: 11,536
edited January 2011 in Road buying advice
Does anyone recommend?
I really like the look and sound of these but can't find a stockist in south london to try one on.
Does anyone know if they are a similar fit to any of the more commonly stocked helmets or if they fit a paticular shaped head?

Cheers.
Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי

Comments

• calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    I had a limar (not sure which model) and found it quite a 'flat' fit: i.e. felt like it was sitting atop my head because the inside wasn't dished enough. I get on fine with Giro shape.

Strava is not Zen.
  • I've got a 104, I forget it's there to be honest.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I have one - very light and minimalist feeling - once on, I barely notice it. Very good for warm weather. I stopped buying Giro after a number of problems due to poor quality.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • eyebee
    eyebee Posts: 257
    Anyone know how the 104 compares in size, to the lazer genesis or helium? By size I mean overall outer shell size.
  • seanoconn
    I wasn't sure about taking a risk on a limar pro 104 and ordering one without being able to try first, so i bought a giro prolight instead. Paid £114 at evans, they did a price match for me. I'm a size 57/58cm, got the medium, 55-59cm. A lovely light helmet and seemed comfortable in the shop. Went for a spin on the bike and after about 15mins the pressure from the elastic band at the back started building, pushing my forehead into the two groves at the front of the helmet and giving me a blinding headache. Taking it back to the shop tomorrow. I could try the large but the lack of adjustment has put me right off.

Waiting for my new limar pro to arrive now!
  • eyebee
    eyebee Posts: 257
    have you thought about the lazer genesis or helium. I've yet to try one but if the reviews are anything to go by the fit is excellent.Quite a low profile helmet as well.Fawkes are doing a good deal on the helium and ukbikestore are doing the genesis for under £100.You may be able to get better deals at the moment if you search.I've found the Limar for £85 at rutland cycles.I've heard a few people with issues over the fit with giro helmets.Let me know how you get on 'cos I can't afford either yet !
  • seanoconn
    eyebee wrote:
    have you thought about the lazer genesis or helium. I've yet to try one but if the reviews are anything to go by the fit is excellent.Quite a low profile helmet as well.Fawkes are doing a good deal on the helium and ukbikestore are doing the genesis for under £100.You may be able to get better deals at the moment if you search.I've found the Limar for £85 at rutland cycles.I've heard a few people with issues over the fit with giro helmets.Let me know how you get on 'cos I can't afford either yet !

You did your homework to then. I ordered mine from rutland as well, hadn't used them before but they've got some good deals, i used the rutland price for the giro prolight price match at evans. Most magazine/ user reviews seem pretty positive for the limar so i'm hopeful and my head's in the middle of their size large so fit shouldn't be a problem. I'll let you know how i get on. I'd definitely give lazer a try if i'm unlucky again, their prices put me off at first, so thanks for the heads up on where to get a good deal.
  • Monty Dog
    I have a Lazer Helium and a Limar 104 amongst others. The Helium is simply the best fitting helmet I have ever worn - the adjustable headband makes it very easy and yet very secure. The Helium is pretty light too, but quality wise is top notch - profile is a little bigger than the 104. A Giro Prolite for example feels flimsy and cheap in comparison to both. I tend to use the 104 in hot weather / racing because of the minimalist design.
  • seanoconn
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I have a Lazer Helium and a Limar 104 amongst others. The Helium is simply the best fitting helmet I have ever worn - the adjustable headband makes it very easy and yet very secure. The Helium is pretty light too, but quality wise is top notch - profile is a little bigger than the 104. A Giro Prolite for example feels flimsy and cheap in comparison to both. I tend to use the 104 in hot weather / racing because of the minimalist design.

I'd pick comfort and fit first for a helmet. Do you notice the 100gm difference in weight between the lazer and limar?
  • Monty Dog
    I do notice the weight difference if you pick them up, one in each hand, but not really on the bike. The Helium feels far more secure and substantial - the outer shell is a harder, more durable material and the quality of the fittings and finishing is better too - mind you it was twice the price of the Limar.
  • PieterM
    PieterM Posts: 167
    I have the Limar 104 and several MET models. The Limar is light and comfortable but it doesn't cover as much of my head as the METs do. I feel safer wearing the METs.
    European Cycling Trips: http://bikeplustours.com