Tektro brake pad question

hmbadger
hmbadger Posts: 181
edited December 2010 in The workshop
Hi,

I have 2010 Secteur Sport. I'm looking to replace brake pads and wanted some Swiss Stop green pads. But looking at the current pads in the standard Tektra brakes and the holders seem different.

It seems I have Tektro P453 'one piece' brake pads. Haven;t been able to definitively identify the part no for the Tektro brakes themselves (dual pivot calliper).

I can't see any directly comparable 'one piece' Swiss Stop holders/pads.

Can I just use a different component - e.g. Tektro P422 pad holders with the brake pad of my choice?

Cheers

Comments

• Only if they fit!

Can I get expensive pads cheaply?
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • hmbadger
    Actually, I may have phrased the query badly. I'm not particularly bothered about saving money on the type of brake pad holder.

The query is primarily about whether I can replace the one piece brake holder/pad with the more common separate shoe and pad arrangement.
  • Sure, any road-type bolt-on should work. Many bike suppliers save a few quid per bike by speccing cheaper pads - instant upgrade. Similarly, many bike owners try to save money by not replacing these as often as they should.
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • hmbadger
    Sure, any road-type bolt-on should work. Many bike suppliers save a few quid per bike by speccing cheaper pads - instant upgrade. Similarly, many bike owners try to save money by not replacing these as often as they should.

Thanks. I'd just come to that conclusion myself. However, discussed with the bloke in LBS - he reckons the pads won;t make much difference and that better value for money would be to upgrade callipers to (say) Shimano 105. So, not sure what to do now!

I want better braking power, as I'm struggling to brake on long descents (I'm a cautious descender, and have some problems with my arms which mean that they get really sore with continual braking).