D I Y!!!!!

bagpusscp
bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
edited December 2010 in The bottom bracket
Destory it yourself :evil:
I fear the new year list from the boss......can you ...just.........
As a long term member of the D I Y avoidance club myself is anyone else here a member of said club, or are you the kind of neighbour who really pi$$es me off .
bagpuss

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I bought a kitchen tap two years ago as the ours was leaking at the swivel bit on the spout and it had a different top on the cold because the old insert had packed up and I couldn't source a new one for the unbranded Chinese tap. Despite regular nagging and threats to get a plumber in I held off fitting the new one till last month.

Next on the list is to decorate the lounge, first broached about five years back.
  • D.I.Y.= Done It Yet
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I finally got round to swapping the ends of the divan base around yesterday as one had sagged and ended up getting the cordless drill and screws out and repairing it. I've now got a divan base that doesn't sag as much. Where the wood as broke the cardboard has creased but it is better. Still can't get a decent nights kip with the cold I'm suffering with though.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Just redid the kitchen and main floor powder room, which was prompted by ice damming ruining the walls and floor last winter. Insurance and contractor took care of the damages but I did the tiling, new cabinet, sink, and faucet
    Adding insulation and soffit vents in the attic this week
    Painting the front and back doors as soon as we get a warm day
    Family room is scheduled for painting this spring
    May replace the windows in the family room before painting, depends on budget.
    Got a few trees in the back that need to come down
  • Not a big fan of D.I.Y.

Wish I was, the brownie points could be racked up in double quick time.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I loath DIY. I will happily take a car's engine to bits, strip down a bicycle or fix anything mechanical. But for some reason DIY is a total turn off.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Just like with my bikes, I am often curious to know how my house works. So, I sometimes take sections of it to pieces to see. It is fascinating. However, unlike with my bikes, I never quite seem to get round to putting it back together again!! :D

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• bagpusscp
    I still smile at a Christmas present the boss bought me just after we got married some :shock: years ago.A Readers Digest Manual of DIY, it told you even how to install a central heating system :!: I got my own back the following year with a Haynes service manual for her car.We stop buying presents soon after that. :)

Ps I still have the wife and a mint copy of the Reader Digest DIY manual.
    bagpuss
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Complete renovation of my house by myself! New bathrooms, made the down stairs open plan with new kitchen. Landscaped the garden this summer gone. Love a bit of DIY!
  • I'm no DIY expert and it's certainly not a hobby. But I do tend to start some projects which always take much longer to complete than originally thought. For instance, I've been meaning to do something about the front garden for years, and by 'something' I mean completely taking it up and block paving.

So in February I cut down the hedge, hired a big breaker and took up the driveway and knocked down the wall. Next was the mini digger and 3 skips to excavate the whole lot. Then it was the drainage which included a soakway. Next was 10 tonne of sub-base which was all shifted by hand. ( I need another 10 tonne as a 2nd layer).

Holidays and other more enjoyable things intervened in the summer and now the bad weather has put a stop to things. I'm now halfway through building a new wall.

This was a job that I hoped to have finished last summer, but it will be summer 2011 before it's done.

I have never tackled any of the above type of work before in my life. But if you think about the work involved and plan ahead then it's do-able for the DIY-er, and a lot cheaper.

More money to spend on bikey things then.
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I am crap at DIY. I can wallpaper and paint neatly, most other things I steer clear of, because I always end up paying for someone to undo my work and do it properly.
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Complete renovation of my house by myself! New bathrooms, made the down stairs open plan with new kitchen. Landscaped the garden this summer gone. Love a bit of DIY!

Love it too, only thing i never done is install new central heating/boiler, but then again i know the lad who done it so i trusted him to do a good job for me, one of the reasons i prefer to do things myself - may take a bit longer, but it gets done properly.
  • bagpusscp
    To all you DIY stalwarts just for you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5XX9LX2es4
    bagpuss