Tavi Woodlands - Just for DH?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited December 2010 in Routes
I know Gawton is DH, but is Tavi Woodlands all specifically DH too?

I don't have a proper DH bike, just a 5" trail/AM-ish bike, but I can ride stuff like Cwmcarn DH okay (rolling most of it that is), and made a (painful) attempt at Aston Hill DH. I just don't do the stuff at high speed yet or aggressively and I'm utterly unskilled at jumps so take chicken lines there, but I'm interested in the more downward kind of riding than tedious distance countryside XC treks.

So basically is Tavi for me basically? :D. Stuff that suits me is more tame, but still challenging singetrack descents with the odd small drops, rock gardens, switchbacks, berms, etc. Or should I forget it without the full body armour, PJs, DH bike and the skills to go with it?

Comments

• I am entirely unskilled when it comes to DH but happily play around on bits of Tavi Woodlands - there is plenty there for those of us crossing over from XC (there's also lots of really big looking stuff to aspire to!) Of the three courses at Gawton HSD is easily ridable on a 5" AM bike and great fun. I have however invested in a full face helmet and shin guards...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Full face is on my list of things to get. Borrowed one for Aston and think it was definitely necessary. Did wreck my ribs there so do wonder about chest protection, but still find wearing the stuff feels a bit silly.

I'll have to check it out then by the sounds of it. Start out with the full face. Got knee pads, going to get elbow/arm pads.

Not down this way very often though. Would like to get there this week but need to get the helmet.

Cheers.