Giro Hex or 661 Recon

christurbo
christurbo Posts: 432
edited January 2011 in MTB buying advice
I am stuck in a dilema. I want to move away from the Giro Indicator I have for some AM protection.

I am stuck between the Giro Hex and the 661 Recon.

Could I have some input from people who have made a similar decision recently, or from those of you who own either?

Thanks.

:)

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Pretty much the same thing, but i'd say the Hex has more "street cred". Just personal taste though.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    The retention system on the Giro hex is a million times better than the one on the 661 Recon.

That said, I found the shape of the 661 better than the Hex. Try both helmets on and sit which one you find fits the best
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Yes, it goes without saying you should try them on first, critical to comfort and safety.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I just switched from a reasonably cheap Bell Ukon to a 2011 giro hex, did my first ride on it yesterday about 25 miles off road.

1) feels amazingly light
    2) fits really well and is easy to adjust
    3) the vents actually line up with the direction of the air flow, so they work.

I paid 48 quid, which was about 10 quid cheaper than everywhere else (pre Xmas), but now CRC are doing them at that price too.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    i went from a giro xen to a 661 recon and i find it better in every way appert from sweat absorbsion as you do get a bit run down your face if you sweat bad where as the xen did soak up a lot.

but on the other hand the xen did take a lot more cleaning after otherwise it would honk as it would hold that much sweat.

as for "street cred" you dont get more "street cred" than 661 stuff.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The Recon looks good to me, a cross between the Xen and Flux... I've got a Hex and it's decent but it always sat on top of my head, the fitting strap on the back wasn't enclosing enough. I'd be interested to try a Recon...

But I'd also recommend you try a Flux if you can, they 're discounted down to £50 from Stif just now and though they're a wee bit unsophisticated, they work brilliantly.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • richg1979
    i tried a flux but its almost twice as heavy as the recon, very noticable when it on your head and the wing on the top looks a bit poo.
  • Northwind
    The wing does come off luckily, horrible thing :lol:

"almost twice as heavy as the recon", nah, not even close to that, the Recon is claimed 303g and the Flux is somewhere around 390g. It's a relatively heavy helmet but it's not as big a difference as that.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I had a look at the Recon and Hex, and both fitted me fine. so it comes down to looks. They both looked very nice in black or white.

You have thrown a spanner in the works regarding the Flux!

I saw one today and they looked very nice. I also see a lot of people in the mags wearing them so must be popular.

Do the 2009 versions come with the rear locking mechanism????

Thanks
  • Northwind
    Have to admit I don't know... I've a feeling they were unchanged from 2009 to 2010 but couldn't swear by that.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Go witht he one that fits you the best. A helemt might be the lightest, best ventilated, best looking one on the market, but it's not going to protect your head if it's constantly sliding about.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • haynes1
    haynes1 Posts: 156
    I've just ordered the 2011 Giro Hex from CRC at £47.95, where as the 661 recon at £62.99. The fit is very similar on both for me that is, it may the different for someone else. So it comes down to how much you want to spend and down to looks. But if you can try them on, that’s the best way to choose.
  • richg1979
    Northwind wrote:
    The wing does come off luckily, horrible thing :lol:

"almost twice as heavy as the recon", nah, not even close to that, the Recon is claimed 303g and the Flux is somewhere around 390g. It's a relatively heavy helmet but it's not as big a difference as that.

just weighed my recon, comes in at 287g and a flux comes in at over 400g.
  • Northwind
    Funny, mine doesn't. And even if you were right that's not close to twice as heavy.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • just buy whichever fits your head properly ;)

the Giro Hex and the more expensive Giro Zen don't have the same interal fit / shape - even for identical sizes i.e. medium

we know this because we sell lots of Giro helmets in our shop - I have owned 2 Giro Xens and cannot wear the Hex as it does not fit my head shape

the same is true of the 661 Recon - its has a different shape to either the Xen or Hex

the Recon looks pretty cool but another consideration is that its not a "low profile" helmet in any sense of the word - once you try one on and look in a mirror you will understand this point (its very bulbous)
    Call 01372 476 969 for more information on UK\'s leading freeride park - Esher Shore www.eshershore.com
  • Are the Flux / Hex / Recon glasses compatible?

I think its a toss up between the 2011 Hex and the 2009 Flux:

YR-1020001FoxWhiteFluxHelmetDROPSHIP--23998-L.jpeg

IMG_7138.jpg

405186.jpg
  • OK ... order placed!

I opted for the Cyan Blue Hex. £47.50 from CRC, I also got a matching No Fear FR Jersey too.

I made a total of £50 saving.

Thanks for the input.

!B7Q7BwwEWk~$(KGrHqN,!h8EzLhURebNBMztpTnSdQ~~-1_12.JPG
  • I used the Hex today - it was fantastic.

Really high quality, loads of airflow, low profile, and cool looks - what more you ask for!
  • ali$tair
    ali$tair Posts: 373
    Went through the same dilema yesterday.

Really wanted a Flux in Military Green but price at £70 put me off.

Going for the Recon in white for £56.
    Trek Fuel EX 8 (2010)