Hollow tech II BB.

SteveCHT
SteveCHT Posts: 24
edited December 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello all.

So just before Xmas I had a little bit of work done on my bike. I was rather stupid in that I didn't go to a "real" bike shop. Begins with a H ends with alfords. Took the bike out this morning for the first time since I got a new SLX BB fitted. My issue is its falling off! One of the cups is in arse ways and I think the thread on the frame may be damaged. So my question is, can I fix this or is the frame now completely written off? I really don't want to have to go back to the shop and say "here you fix this" if they can’t get it right the first time, don’t want them near it a second time. I know all the tools required and have a good idea now (park tools website) how to do it myself.

Cheeres!
The death of the bike begins with its start
The most efficient machine on the plant
Often referred to as the noblest invention

Ragley Mmmbop
Iron Horse 6point6
Giant STP
Kona Stinky
Globe Roll 2

Comments

• twonks
    twonks Posts: 352
    If they have made that much of a mess of it, I'd say you'd be daft not to take it back as the frame could be US should they have damaged the BB thread that badly.

If your not happy then ask them to strip it down whilst you are stood there so they can't bodge it back together.

Then if it is totally knackered when they take the cups out, ask to speak to the store manager and express your feelings about the damaging the bike etc etc.
  • okay you need to take the BB out (simple job, it even says what direction to turn the cups on them, and the tool is cheap) then inspect the thread. if its damaged it just needs to be re tapped something any LBS will be able to do, or the halfords will be able to do.

the frame wont be a write off, and whilst its being retapped you can get the frame faced too which will allow the bb to sit snugly against the frame and square agaisnt the axle.

i appreciate that u dont want to take the frame back to the fords of half, but then you have gotta find yourself a nice LBS to do the job
  • I have a good LBS not too far. I only went in to halfords with it because it was cheaper! My stupid mistake, last time I'll make that mistake. submityournentries I'll take your advice and take it apart for a quick inspection. It's actually a Ragley Mmmbop and I had the frame faced when I got it (head tube and BB)

Thanks lads!

Ragley Mmmbop
    Iron Horse 6point6
    Giant STP
    Kona Stinky
    Globe Roll 2
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    SteveCHT wrote:
    Hello all.

So just before Xmas I had a little bit of work done on my bike. I was rather stupid in that I didn't go to a "real" bike shop. Begins with a H ends with alfords. Took the bike out this morning for the first time since I got a new SLX BB fitted. My issue is its falling off! One of the cups is in ars* ways and I think the thread on the frame may be damaged. So my question is, can I fix this or is the frame now completely written off? I really don't want to have to go back to the shop and say "here you fix this" if they can’t get it right the first time, don’t want them near it a second time. I know all the tools required and have a good idea now (park tools website) how to do it myself.

Cheeres!

return it to the people who did the work. it is their responsibility. Dont touch it as it will then be hard to prove a thing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Don't touch it, if the frame is screwed, you'll loose all recourse with them and that is an expensive mistake to make. Take it back and get them to fix it.

Scary that they even did this, its an easy job to do, so cant see how they screwed it up.
  • Yup, don't touch, take back and make them fix. Simples
  • Like I said I don’t want them to go near it again. I went to the LBS today. They had a look at it, not too much damage, just the non-‘drive side is a little mangleised. I can collect it tomorrow afternoon so I'm happy now.

When I explained what had happened to the bike the guy in the shop said he'd get it done for me half price too. Only costing €15 so I really am not too bothered to go back.

Ragley Mmmbop
    Iron Horse 6point6
    Giant STP
    Kona Stinky
    Globe Roll 2