Keeping legs warm

ljs1977
ljs1977 Posts: 247
edited December 2010 in MTB beginners
Just a quick question. got the shorts, top and jacket. But its a bit chilly at the moment.

Does anyone use leg warmers or just big footy socks? i can not really afford some trousers

Cheers

Comments

• Deep heat !
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Leg warmers are good, or there's plenty of cheap tights out there.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Tights under a cheap pair of trackpants if it's really cold
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I find long socks and knee pads do the trick.
  • theshrew
    theshrew Posts: 169
    After my last ride i just had shorts and a coating of deap heat i decided to get some pants.

Mate gave me a tip off have a look in Sports Direct think he said he got them for £10 ish ive not seen or got them yet but will be doing in the next few days
  • yeah the sports direct ones work fine under shorts, not the best quality but for £7.99 you can get a few pairs and throw if they wear out
  • I'm using 661 veggie shin guards - neoprene, so keep my lower legs waterproof and warm. And 2 pairs of shorts for the top. Only my knees are exposed, but they don't freeze up like the rest of my legs.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    Cycle faster?
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    I've got some knee warmers and think they're brill.
  • you big bunch of girls!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Shorts and some manliness
    Uncompromising extremist
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Oh, ignore the forum MTFU crowd. We all know that The Northern Monkey wears mole skin tights and just pretends he's hirsute.

:wink::lol:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Hey, I'm not saying MTFU, that's a silly expression for being unmanly but trying to act like you are ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Long football socks held up by electrical tape does the trick
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    I have a pair of bib shorts which come down to the shin. Bought them from Decathlon

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/sport-flat-bib-shorts-35332407/ for £27 which is reasonable. I then wear a pair of black baggy shorts over, with a pair of black football socks covering the gap. I think it looks ok :?

Decathlon also have tights for £10.
  • njee20
    It's my knees I specifically want to keep warm! I can't imagine wearing socks and long shorts myself!
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    LIDL do good running/skiing/motorbiking tights which they roll out from time to time, they tend to be branded as running or skiing or motorbiking, but never cycling, they are always the same and very good quality, and perform well when wet too.

about 24 quid top and bottom. In the really cold weather I was wearing two lidl thermal tops and a pair of tights under my normal summer gear and was toasty warm.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    GHill wrote:
    Oh, ignore the forum MTFU crowd. We all know that The Northern Monkey wears mole skin tights and just pretends he's hirsute.

:wink::lol:

Aged 38 & still don't own any tights and over 3000 miles on bikes this year :lol:
  • njee20
    What do you want? A medal? Knee replacement!?

Do you wear shorts if you go out normally at this time of year? Of course you can, but it's a lot less comfortable!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    njee20 wrote:
    What do you want? A medal? Knee replacement!?

Do you wear shorts if you go out normally at this time of year? Of course you can, but it's a lot less comfortable!

Too right, love it when people try to give the persona that they're harder than hard stuff on the interwebz.

Anyway I use Gore leg warmers in conjunction with my normal lycra undershorts for full length leg warming goodness then just a pair of my 3/4s Singletracks or Attacks depending on weather over the top and a pair of merino wool socks.
  • ljs1977
    ljs1977 Posts: 247
    Briggo wrote:

Too right, love it when people try to give the persona that they're harder than hard stuff on the interwebz.

Anyway I use Gore leg warmers in conjunction with my normal lycra undershorts for full length leg warming goodness then just a pair of my 3/4s Singletracks or Attacks depending on weather over the top and a pair of merino wool socks.

That's why my tinterweb persona is some one who has little biking knowledge and / or skill, that way no one is disappointed :P . Thanks for the reply's guys.

Later
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    these any good for you ?
    http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/sp ... _16991.htm
    available from sunday