A new sensation

FSR_XC
FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
edited December 2010 in MTB general
Went riding today. It rained overnight and hasn't been particularly bad weather wise over the last few days.

Part way through the ride and we're splashing through some large puddles - only when you enter the puddle the wheels don't hit the bottom. It's water lying on top of ICE - and not the sort that cracks as you ride over it.

Some puddles were fine, but surprisingly everyone was reluctant to ride at the front.
Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com

Comments

• I found it like that where i was riding as well, I think in the case of where i was riding it had snowed two weeks ago that never properly thawed it then snowed again on top, And when it started thawing out the older ice underneath was alot tougther.

It made riding quite difficult and sketchy on the cambers but fun!
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    Also quite scary when a frozen puddle hidden under snow suddenly cracks as you ride over it!
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    This is why I haven't been out on my road bike this month - not worth the risk.

The MTB hits the ground slower in my experience - though this might be due to the speed being travelled
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    nonnac85 wrote:
    Also quite scary when a frozen puddle hidden under snow suddenly cracks as you ride over it!
    haha yes indeed! Had a couple of moments like that the other day where i couldn't see the puddles as there was snow on top of the ice
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5