Where in the Peaks?

fungus_the_muffin_man
fungus_the_muffin_man Posts: 1,608
edited January 2011 in Routes
One of the guys I go road riding with is coming up here from down south. He's bringing up his mtb and we said we'd go for a ride in the peaks. Only problem is We both don't really know the peaks at all and with the weather as it is I'm wondering where would be best to go?

If anyone has any decent idea's or links to a suitable route card it'd be most appreciated.

Cheers dudes.
Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Try this www.mountainbikerides.co.uk/ go to routes.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • I was hoping that someone would give us some input on where to go as well, based off the weather at the moment. I know how bad the weather can be over there at the moment. so was hoping not to have a wasted journey from Manchester.
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    I would have thought Langsett/Dunford Bridge would be ok, based on what it's like now round where I live. Planning going there myself tomorrow :D
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I'm thinking of this route for thursday http://www.flattyresmtbroutes.com/HayfieldJacobsLadder.html assuming weather is not heavy snow..
    Also open to other suggestions :D
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Jacobs ladder was sheet ice a few weeks back and as temps haven't gotten much over freezing it probably still is.The ladder is lethal when icy.Classic route though 8)
    We're riding around Ladybower on Friday I'll let you know what it's like on the tops.
  • DodgeT
    Ah ok, cheers for that, will have to see what tomorrow brings weather wise, its certainly been melting a lot round here (NW Mancs).

Any other routes you'd recommend for Thursday which wont be so dodgy, looking anywhere glossop/edale etc.
  • DodgeT
    ps. sorry fungus for hijacking the thread, but hopefully the info will help both of us :D
  • We did the ladybower loop yesterday. Its just slush on the road around the dams, had a quick venture off piste but not really worth it. your better off stick to the low lying routes for any sort of ride.
  • sniper68
    DodgeT wrote:
    Ah ok, cheers for that, will have to see what tomorrow brings weather wise, its certainly been melting a lot round here (NW Mancs).

Any other routes you'd recommend for Thursday which wont be so dodgy, looking anywhere glossop/edale etc.
    We're going up on the Hills but not while Friday so no help there.We rode in the snow last year and although hard going it was OK.You can just ride around the Dams at Ladybower but it's just a fire-road style affair and OK if you just want to switch off and just pedal.
  • DodgeT wrote:
    ps. sorry fungus for hijacking the thread, but hopefully the info will help both of us :D

No probs fella :D

Ended up with us not getting a hit out anywhere due to the weather.

I've got a nice shiney new Kona just sitting there waiting to get a good seeing to as well :(
  • sniper68
    Was out on the tops around Ladybower today,snow 99% gone.Some puddles were iced over but on the whole it's 100% ridable but a little slow going and muddy 8) There is about 50M of sheet ice about 2/3 of the way down Blackley Hey but that's about it.
    Good way to end the year :D
  • DodgeT
    Ended up doing macc forest yesterday, all was fine except for charity way

charity.jpg

Hoping to do jacobs ladder etc. on monday, so hope all wil be good and clear for then :D
  • DodgeT
    Well, did the jacobs ladder route today (backwards though - we missed a turn about a mile in...)
    Was good fun, no mud, ground was hard and a bit of ice on the jacobs ladder section...

jaclad.jpg