Excess bagage

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Whilst fettling my various road bikes for the road again and getting my CX "sportive" ready It became painfully obvious that should I encounter the PF any time soon I'll be royally screwed.

Even using a track pump very gently was an effort, there's no chance I'd even be able to remove and refit a tube, which got me thinking ...

If i'm not able to do any roadside repairs is there any point taking tools and spares with me? surely it's just excess weight?

Perhaps substitute the saddle bag for an extra jacket, so at least while i'm waiting for the support vehicle i'll be warmish.
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    why can't you fix a visit from the pf?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Boffin/Nutter/Stubborn Mule - if you can't do any roadside repairs, you shouldn't be riding! :) Seriously, leave your bike alone and heal up; you've got a month to get the bike ready (just make sure you have the right size inner tubes for the wheels).
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    Boffin/Nutter/Stubborn Mule - if you can't do any roadside repairs, you shouldn't be riding! :) Seriously, leave your bike alone and heal up; you've got a month to get the bike ready (just make sure you have the right size inner tubes for the wheels).

I'm thinking tubeless for the CX sportive ???

Lower pressures and a degree of PF protection and if it comes to it I can always throw a tube in there.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp wrote:

quite! at the very least make sure your out with mates who will repair your tubes.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Sounds like you're going against what you should be doing, as touched on by CJCP.

Doesn't sound like mind over matter is working and your damaged body is currently winning :twisted:
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    if you can't use a track pump, how will you ride off road?

gas canister for roadside surely?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • itboffin
    Like I said tubeless should take care of that :roll:

oh and some mega-super-awesome-strong painkillers :roll:
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    cjcp wrote:

quite! at the very least make sure your out with mates who will repair your tubes.

+1. It'll suck being off the bike for a while (as I can remember all too well from my little mishaps this year) but it'll be worth it. You'll set back your recovery, if not making the problem worse.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011