Boardman bikes -fs or hardtail?

jig
jig Posts: 134
edited January 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi,

I'm considering bagging a Boardman mtb to help keep my cycling going during the winter.

I will use it to commute as well as ride the trails near KinverEdge & Wyre Forrest.

At the moment the full suspension team medium is £799 & the pro hardtail is £849 - both down from £1k.

I'm vearing towards althe hardtail and i appreciate there are hundreds of variables but would appreciate peoples views on which model is "better".

Many thanks :)

Comments

• As a person who has had both, i say that i like my full suss better, technical the hard tail was faster but as i don't race and will never do it competitively the full suss is more fun.

The full suss pro is £1080 btw...
  • jig
    Thank you - the fs in my price range was the team not the pro. I could bag the pro hardtail so these are the two i am comparing.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    I am a 100% FS convert, not always as fast as HT, but more fun.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • I currently own a hard tail boardman, like you i use it to commute and thats the main reason i went for it, ive ridden the soft tail as well and thats also a good bike.

But in my oppinion if your after after a dual purpose bike go for the hardtail as its lighter quicker on flat road and cheaper as you wont be needing to service the rear shock and rear triangle.
  • cavegiant
    So which way did you go?
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Stuy-b
    Stuy-b Posts: 248
    if you have any intention of useing the bike on the road get the hardtail.
  • cavegiant
    Stuy-b, with all due respect, do not say such silly things, noobs might believe you =-)
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    iv got a boardman team HT... not riden a HT for 6 years and iv missed it there not as fast going down hill but on the climbs its a lot better.

also if your using it on road it would get a HT....Just my prefrence
  • rtorbs
    rtorbs Posts: 94
    jig wrote:

At the moment the full suspension team medium is £799 & the pro hardtail is £849 - both down from £1k.

Arrrrggh youve just thrown a spanner in the works.....just ordered the HT pro through C2W only to find its now £850.....dont know whether to stretch for the FS Pro now instead?!
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    The specs on both bikes is good but better on the HT. Both are aimed at more XC work than AM.

To use as a commute bike I would go for a HT. I'm lucky enough to have several bikes in my garage and would not use the FS to commute, would be the HT all the way. However at the weekend I'll hit the same trails almost as fast on the HT as my FS. I find I run out of skill/bottle before the bike lets me down.
  • jig
    cavegiant wrote:
    So which way did you go?

Sorry for not updating and thanks for the advice :D

I went for the HT pro in the end and it is more then good enough (especially as i have been used to a viking ebay special in terms of my mountainbike experience for the last 5 years-compared to my focus cayo road bike it was a nightmare ) :oops:

I'm hoping with the 2011 range on the horizon that prices may drop again so i can get mrsjig the womens version.

Once again thanks for peoples time and advice :wink: