best or worst ride 2010??

mr joey
mr joey Posts: 427
edited December 2010 in MTB general
hi all,as another year draws to an end just wondering what was you"re best or worst ride of the year and why?? could be you"re worst off,you spent the whole day lost that kind of thing,oh yes and where was it!!

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Best ride was probably a few months back after Trailfaries and we went out on our usual ride and there was about 10 of us going down a load of great trails at Glentress following inches behind each other, dangerous I know but great fun

EDIT: actually, that was the second best, best was just last month when we were waving goodbye to someone and a couple of us went up Inners in the pitch black at about 8 and were still laughing on the way down near 10 I think (obviously we had lights)

And there are many many more great rides that I would list if I could
  • mr joey
    mr joey Posts: 427
    i know what you mean pete about inches behind,at the top of most decents one of us always says "takeing it easy down here" thats b@llocks soon as you set off you"re on the @ss of the guy in front of you you just cant help it!! while thinking if he has an off im cabbaged too but we do it!!!! :D
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    many great rides that i can't think of the best one so heres a few:
    scorching hot day in delamere, about 15 of us and two of my mates riding in boxers it was so hot. very dusty and very fun

wet day of building at delamere enjoying the new tracks

epic day filming at delamere again with big trains down dh runs and the duel track

first day at farmer johns, such an awesome place
  • best day: running my fav tyre combo on the commencal, shocks setup perfectly, trail was a bit damp with loads of grip. everything seemed to just come together, mahooosive grins :D

worst day: Cwmcarn in the snow... fell down a cliff. not fun.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Best - plenty, but sensible ride - probably Gorlech at Brechfa, non sensible - a couple of unbelievably muddy rides in Surrey Hills when trails were so slippery they were almost impossible to ride and a laugh all the way down. At the bottom it was a game of count the crashes.

Worst - impersonating Superman at Swinley and wrecking a few ribs.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    My best was one day in France... A ride of 2 parts, the first bit was just lovely xc stuff, fairly undulating trails, nothing very techy or fast but loads of fun. Then, a bit of a road loop and "the second climb of the day" which turned out to be an endless fireroad bash up a completely different mountain :lol: So we ground up this fireroad til our legs fell off and we were all absolutely sodden wet with sweat... Then Ian says "And now it's all downhill! Armour up, seatposts down, wind your suspension all the way out" and it turned out that the descent was world-cup standard, absolutely non stop, right on the edge stuff... Best I've ever ridden I reckon, no space for anything in your head but the next bit of trail. Perfect.

Coed y Brenin and Nevis Range and my uplift day at Innerleithen were awesome too, in fact of the 6 rides with A Quick Release in France not one was bad and 3 days were up there with the best I've ever done.

Worst? Mmm, don't know. Had a couple of fairly wet unsuccesful rides but nothing actually bad, just frustrating. Did break some ribs early in the year but that was still a good ride up til that point :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    Northwind wrote:
    Worst? Mmm, don't know. Had a couple of fairly wet unsuccesful rides but nothing actually bad, just frustrating.

You mean that one that you gave up on less than half way round the red and dad (who is a fairly fair weather person) was out for twice as long as us

Yeah, that was a pretty sh!t ride :lol:
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Best ride was when the GPS routed us over Windermere ferry to Grizedale and our driver was having none of it so we followed a route starting at Skelwith Bridge instead. First time riding natural stuff and it was absolutely incredible.

Worst ride was the first time we went to Llandegla. First train was packed to the brim with school kids so we had to wait an hour. When we got to Chester, our train got cancelled so we had to get a taxi (ever tried to fit 3 bikes in the back of a minibus? Not fun). Finally at Wrexham, we headed 10 miles the wrong way. We cycled back to Wrexham, got on the wrong road and ended up South of where we needed to be. We then missed the turn for Llandegla and ended up a mile north of where we needed to be. We eventually got there at 4pm (having been on the platform in Manchester at 7.45am). Did a lap of the Blue route, farted around on the skills area, and then went home :(
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    peter413 wrote:
    You mean that one that you gave up on less than half way round the red and dad (who is a fairly fair weather person) was out for twice as long as us

Yeah, sounds familiar. Couldn't see a damn thing as I recall :lol: Had another one locally where I rode halfway up the first climb and just went "This isn't fun. Sod this" :lol:

Actually no. Worst ride of the year, got a winner, 10 Under the Ben. Paying money to do a not particularily good XC route that's overcrowded with knobbers who have no interest in either riding anything halfway difficult, or getting out of the way of those who do, but seem to live for that moment when they can pass you on the fireroad climbs just before the techy bits they won't do. And all in the shadow of the gondola uplift which costs less for a day ticket than the race fees were and is, oh, 10 million times more fun.

Not to knock No Fuss, they put on a good show for anyone who likes that sort of crap :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    I thought it looked fun if you were a local and it wasn't overcrowded, certainly wouldn't travel that far for it though
  • Dan Dare
    Dan Dare Posts: 367
    There are a couple of rides that stick out for me this year, first was the Dragons Back at Coed Y Brenin, it may have been too hot and I did turn my back wheel into something resembling a Pringle crisp but it was a great day out and part of a camping trip in Wales which only added to the fun! The other was one of the first proper rides out on the Zesty at the Penmachno, it was freezing cold and a bit wet but so much fun.

Worst ride was a late night commute home where I first rode through a massive dog egg and then got a puncture only to change the inner tube and find my pump was knackered. And then it started raining.
  • best; the last 5 or 6 miles of london to brighton off road, bombing it down the hills into the seafront, with my Ragley set up perfectly and absolutely flying :)

worst; thetford red route after i had just bought my new frame, the wheels basically seized up, just felt like a mahussive drag around the rest of the bit.
  • Best: weekend at afan/cwmcarn with 3 mates, chasing each other down the decents and laughing so hard almost puking

Worst: crashing brand new ex8 at swinley and breaking both wrists and a collarbone
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • Any ride is a good ride. I am constantly smiling while riding.

Best one was probably by a place called Motenkugl here in Austria. 2 hours of non stop clmbing, and then back down it in about 15 minutes. Was epic.
  • Best: equal were:
    first visit to coed y brennin.
    a glorious day on the long mynd-first time done it dry and Minton Batch was amazing.

worst: first night ride: got lost, puncture, total shambles. Good learning curve though!!
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    Best ride - my first time on a red single track route at Bedgebury.

Worst ride - after a 10 year gap, I rode the London to Brighton road ride again this year, with colleagues. It took us 8 hours to cover 50 miles. Would have almost been quicker to walk.

Next year, instead, my bro and I will be doing the Insomnia ride at Bedgebury.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    best was easily dalby forest in october, superb place and i just felt briliant that weekend

worst is todays, messed my ankle up, seemingly blew my fork internals to bits and was locked out :roll:
  • worst was probably my first time on a trail. follow the dog in march. got bit cocky come off a jump (small) little too quick landed so wrong was untrue when trying to sort it out hit another fell off in to a tree. ouch! lol. not to mention having a cardiac arrest due to a complete lack of fitness. :0) things are a little better these days. haha!

best was definately braving the climachx in April although it wasn't so good for my mate. the fire road climb was deffo worth the sweet decent! can't wait to hit it again with a bit more experience. loved every second of it.
    Giant Trance X4 2010
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Worst ride was during the summer, went to a local 4X track and managed to break my collar bone on the first run down. Spent 6 weeks off the bike and only managed two proper rides between Septmber and now. one of these was at Dalby, where i came off and landed on the same shoulder... went to A & E later on to be told that i'd cracked the bone again :( cue another 4-5 weeks of the bike.

The best ride, was 5 days ago. It was nothing special, nothing technical, and it wasn't that fast. But the feelign of being able to ride again was brilliant; the ground was snowy/icey, the back end was sliding out all over the place, but i'd forgotten how much fun just riding was, i was grinning like a loon when i finally got home. :D
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Worst = one of the Mud Sweat and gears races i did. i was so ill but i needed the points so i just needed to finish, it was roughly 40 mins a lap and i crossed the line with a min or two to spare and i ended up having to do another lap which almost killed me. i was so tired at the end i was almost and tears and had to recouperate for a good hour before trying to drive home.

Best = random saturday morning ride where i met a load of local riders and ended up tearing round my local routes at speeds i only ever dreamed of. i can even remember the front gently lifting as i was pulling out of the corners. 8) fast dry trails FTW :!:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Best - Some off road tracks round Easter Island the day after viewing a perfect Total Solar Eclipse. Cycling by the giant Moai was just an incredible, moving, uplifting experience.

Worst - no such thing!! No time on a bike is wasted.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • cj11
    cj11 Posts: 72
    Best : Riding scadson woods downhill on a hardtail and walking away intact.

Worst : Five minutes after arriving at haldon black run, My mate went over the bars into a tree breaking his ankle and giving himself a mild concusion there is nothing good about seeing a friend leave the woods in an ambulance. Thank you to the rangers up there for the help that day it was much appreciated.