Lenthening chain

cheese_toastie
cheese_toastie Posts: 35
edited December 2010 in Workshop
Hi, my problem is buying the right length chain for the 1970's Dawes I am doing up. I have put on 52/42 twin chain wheel on the front and a 5 speed 32/14 freewheel on the rear, the distance between them is 18inches. I had a look on the net and found a chain length calculator and it recommends 118 links, thinking this must be wrong I tried a standard 114 link SRAM 890 and it is a couple of inches short when going round the largest wheels, looks like 118 links is required.
Does anybody know if it is possible to buy a longer chain as most standard sizes I have seen are 114 or 116 link?. I could get a bit more SRAM 890 chain and use 2 powerlinks but don't fancy this idea. I don't know if you can safely lengthen this sort of chain by just pushing a pin out with a chain tool then pushing pins in again after adding a bit making it an endless chain as this may damage the rivet on the end of the pin making it weaker. Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    No problem at all using 2powerlinks.

I'd have them separated along the chain rather than adjacent, but otherwise they're far better than using the chain tool to push-out and rejoin using pins, that's why SRAM give them to you.