Anyone heading to Llandegla Sunday 26th ?

BG2000
BG2000 Posts: 517
edited December 2010 in MTB rides
Am I mad to consider snow riding there, or is anyone else going to give it a go ?

Comments

• You're not mad and it will be full of riders now it's open again.
  • BG2000
    Cheers John. All the usual crew I go with are busy tomorrow - not surprisingly. But I won't have much free time after this weekend, and the snow is set to thaw on Tuesday - so I need to make the most of the high quality snow we've got. I know the Llandegla trails really well, so I'll know where I'm going, even if it's a white out. But as you say, there will be others to tag along with - it'll be a good laugh whatever. Just hope the car gets up the hill to the car park. I've got snow chains just in case !

Happy Xmas ! :D
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,872
    Decent run up should do it!
  • How did you get on with the road up to the car park today please?

I'm thinking of heading up there tomorrow morning?
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    [quote="I'm thinking of heading up there tomorrow morning?[/quote]

You could always park in the layby at the bottom?
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • You could always park in the layby at the bottom?

It will be full at 10am and if the centre is closed it's actually classed as trespassing as Llandegla is on private land.
  • BG2000
    edited December 2010
    Top ride today, but much more tiring and lots of concentration (bottle) needed !

The food/drink and staff at the restaurant where brilliant as always. How nice that hot chocolota was after 2 hours non-stop sliding/riding !

The small road up from the main road is OK. The last bit up to the car park is slippy, but I got up OK in a Ford Focus. The 2 cars following me were a Toyota Estate and Peugeot 3008, so we were all front wheel drive. Just keep it in a highish gear and take is steady. As you stated previously - people shouldn't park in the layby at the bottom.

Here's a piccie taken while driving back down to the main road:

llandegla-road.jpg

The snow was amazing - really powdery adn grippy, but your bike will jack-knife all over the place when it's deep. Good news is that the snow isn't deep under the trees, so a lot of the faster downhill sections are OK. I did the whole Black run and then the Blue afterwards.

Here's a piccie from the highest point:

cove-poser.jpg

Heading back into the woods:

llandegla-trail.jpg

At the carpark:

frozen-stiffee.jpg

I also filmed a bit today, so will post later.
  • Cheers for that.

If it doesn't snow enough to close the car park over night I think I'll head up there tomorrow morning.
  • BG2000
    And a video I made :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeLQhjgB7xs

Quality is rubbish - it's just a tiny camera strapped to head-tube on frame. But it shows how nice the snow was !