9 speed cassette with 8 speed sora shifter

Niffleman
Niffleman Posts: 87
edited December 2010 in Workshop
I have just bought a second hand pair of wheels as an upgrade. They are lighter and better than the ones I already have and come complete with a cassette and tyres. However, my bike has an 8 speed sora set up and the cassette is 9 speed. Can I us this cassette, and how should I set it up?

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Either swap the cassette from your old wheels or buy a new 8 speed casette for your new wheels. The casettes are the same overall width but the spacing between sprockets is smaller so your shifters won't index with the casette.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • 8 speed Sora cassettes are cheap. If you buy one from a LBS they should put it on within a minute or two. Possible your chain might be more suited to 8 speed as some 9 speeds require narrow chains.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Like redvee says.

If you're simply replacing wheels, swap your 8sp cassette onto them.

If you want to have 'best' wheels and keep the others too, then you'll need to buy a 8sp cassette - but be aware that if your existing chain and cassette are worn, the chain mightl skip on a new cassette, in which case you'll have to buy a new chain too, and probably a new cassette on the other wheels as well.