Bib shorts

CarbonCopy
CarbonCopy Posts: 492
edited December 2010 in Road buying advice
I`m looking at buying another pair of Bib shorts.My current favourites are Assos Bib shorts T FI Mille S5 i find them really comfortable the S5 pad is really good.But i don`t like the price!! I`m looking for a cheaper alternative that can match the quality and performance of the above mentioned shorts.Any sugestions then? If not then Assos it must be.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Spegg if you're on a budget like me from cycle-clothing. I've not had Assos so can't compare them with Spegg but I'm happy with the fit and comnfort for the sub £30 price.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I have a few pairs of Assos, but have now moved on to the Shutt VR bibs, excellent value for money, very comfortable...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,529
    i've got some uno f1 and dont think they're any better than my 60qudi giordana or santinis. i expect this thread to turn into a shutt fest, their shorts always seem to get rave reviews from owners
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    Have a look at NapD's blog as he has review them and seems to rate them highly against Assos - bare in mind they are a bit shorter in the leg so you'll either like this or not.
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    It's been said many a time....

Assos are an 'investment'. Prices are high, but they last a loooooooong time. All my other shorts seemed to fall apart.

Look for deals on Assos in the post-Christmas sales.
  • Thanks for feed back all.Pokerface have you tried the Assos Mille that i mentioned above if so how do they campare to the top of the range Assos you had? i saw the ones you were selling and i would of had them but they were to big in size for me :roll:
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    CarbonCopy wrote:
    Thanks for feed back all.Pokerface have you tried the Assos Mille that i mentioned above if so how do they campare to the top of the range Assos you had? i saw the ones you were selling and i would have had them but they were to big in size for me :roll:

The Uno's are my everyday shorts. I don't use the Mille shorts so can't comment. The FI.13 S5 shorts are nice, but not all that different from the lower end ones to be honest. Better cut, less bulky padding, nicer look.

I would consider the Uno's - you should be able to get them for under £100 in the sales.
  • Let's see: I have Assos Mille & Uno, Giordana Tenax Laser (3 pr), Giordana Silverline, Santini Genesis, and some Nalini ones, not sure which model.

The Assos Mille is the best of them for overall comfort, closely followed by Uno and the Santini ones (think the Genesis are discontinued though, pity as they are excellent). The Tenax ones are really very good, quality fabric that holds it's shape well. The Silverline ones less so, comfy but the fabric not as good IMO. The Nalini are nice and light, great for MTB work, but the pad is a bit thin for long ride road comfort.

If you can find a pair in your size, the Giordana Body Clone are very good too. I have some of the winter tights version, which are brilliant in my local conditions.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS