Pressure washers

crankycrank
crankycrank Posts: 1,830
edited December 2010 in Workshop
I think for a bike, a good sponge and brushes with a garden hose work best. Pressure washers are great for doing the job a little faster but you do have to be careful about aiming at any of the bearings so as not to wash away the grease and tiny openings in the frame, rims, etc will allow more water to enter. This of course means you still have to hand scrub around the bearing areas. Use the money saved on the pressure washer for a weekend vacation. 8)

Comments

• ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    Def no go, I learned the hard way when I first got into cycling :oops: Wrecked a headset in no time :(
  • Keith47
    Keith47 Posts: 158
    Absolutely not!!! Will blast the grease from any bearings, bike will be FUBAR. Constantly reading about people saying their bottom bracket bearings don't last very long, despite regular cleaning "with a pressure washer". Duh. :roll: Same applies to motorbikes, never ever use a pressure washer on 'em. End of.
    The problem is we are not eating food anymore, we are eating food-like products.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Keith47 wrote:
    Absolutely not!!! Will blast the grease from any bearings, bike will be FUBAR. Constantly reading about people saying their bottom bracket bearings don't last very long, despite regular cleaning "with a pressure washer". Duh. :roll: Same applies to motorbikes, never ever use a pressure washer on 'em. End of.
    +1

You can dent a panel on a car body with a pressure washer. The seals on bearings stand no chance.
  • Normal 240v pressure washers are far too powerful. You can buy mobile 12v washers and they're excellent and recommended for bikes.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=58018
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4