HELP.. all set for a bianchi then!!!!

supergrass
supergrass Posts: 123
edited December 2010 in Road buying advice
I was all set to buy myself this, the bianchi via nirone 7 xenon

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bia ... e-ec025814

then just read on the web i can get this for 50 quid more.. The Boardman team carbon

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... zone=PLPz1

i can get the bianci for 850 at my LBS and even though the boardman says its 999 you get 10% off online..

What should i do.. should i chose style over substance?.. what would you do folks???

Comments

• bianchi no bianci.. christmas eve typeo :D
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Can you get a test ride on either or both?

Looks wise, I think they're both as nice as each other.
    Guess it depends on whether you like black or white!

I've had no problems with Xenon groupset on my winter bike but I think the Boardman might edge it on overall spec.

Mmm :?
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    I stared road riding on a Bianchi via nirone 7 xenon, then upgraded to a Team Carbon and haven't looked back, I find it a million times better and wouldn't ever go back to Bianchi!
  • mogi
    mogi Posts: 69
    Boardman will be the better bike but I would buy the bianchi,I love my 928
  • Thanks for the input

regarding the test ride, it just depends how long long the offer at halfords lasts i suppose... i will try to have and have a ride on each..

i prefer the look of the bianchi... but i know the spec isnt as good...

this is my first bike so i hope i make the right choice :shock:
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    the boardman will be a fair bit lighter.
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    The best one is the one that fits. I had my heart set on a Bianchi 928 a few years ago. Evans had them reduced from 1600 to 999. Tried the 55cm alongside a same size/price Lemond. Bianchi just felt too cramped, Lemond was just right. I have long torso/short legs so the long top tube typical of Lemonds and Treks.
    Maybe why you see a lot of girls on Bianchis - shorter top tube.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Well if you dont mind buying a 2010 model go for this as this is what i did and im over the moon with it for my first road bike....

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bianchi/c2c-via-nirone-7-veloce-2010-road-bike-ec026395
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    These two bikes aren't in the same class.

The VN is a heavy, basic spec, entry level bike with a nostalgic name on the down tube. The Boardman is a light, stiff, well specc'd bike with a newish frame maker's name on the tube. The attention to detail on both frames is excellent but that's where any similarity ends.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Boardman hands down.

I will be sad to see mine go.
  • mogi
    mogi Posts: 69
    take a look at the ribble range and the planet x as well,i have a planet x pro carbon as a second bike and its as good as my bianchi really. 17.5 pound carbon bike for £999 rides really well
  • I'm considering the boardmans myself. How do you get the extra 10% off, or have I missed it.
  • I'm considering the boardmans myself. How do you get the extra 10% off, or have I missed it.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Why won't Halfords allow a test ride of a Boardman bike?
  • cramman wrote:
    I'm considering the boardmans myself. How do you get the extra 10% off, or have I missed it.

offers gone now... it was posted on another link on bikedar, so i checked it out on xmas eve and it came it 899, tried again today before i popped down to halfords and it was back at 999... so i missed it.. my budget is about 850 so it now rules it out now
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Why won't Halfords allow a test ride of a Boardman bike?

who says they wont allow test rides? i said "regarding the test ride, it just depends how long long the offer at halfords lasts i suppose... i will try to have and have a ride on each"

it was an "internet only offer" which i noticed on xmas eve and was gone by boxing day...the extra 10% brought it into what i wanted to spend....
  • cramman wrote:
    I'm considering the boardmans myself. How do you get the extra 10% off, or have I missed it.

this is the link i spotted

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12748164
  • dombo6
    Re the Boardmans, a couple of guys in my club have them and really like them. Also in the summer I did the 3-day London to Paris ride and was chatting on day 3 to a bloke who had one. He loved it too, and that was after 3 days in the saddle. They are very well-specced and the fact they come from Halfords is irrelevant. They have good kit and look to be fantastic value.
  • Dombo6 wrote:
    Re the Boardmans, a couple of guys in my club have them and really like them. Also in the summer I did the 3-day London to Paris ride and was chatting on day 3 to a bloke who had one. He loved it too, and that was after 3 days in the saddle. They are very well-specced and the fact they come from Halfords is irrelevant. They have good kit and look to be fantastic value.

That wasnt me by chance was it :wink:
  • dombo6
    May well have been. White and yellow? I was on orange Lemond dressed in Astana kit, riding in Group 3.
  • Ahhh no, different L2P!