Which Brooks?

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited December 2010 in Commuting general
I quite fancy a Brooks sadle on my single speed commuter, but there are far too many to choose from. So, I could really do with some advice from you Brooks afficianados. I would like it to be comfortable (ultimately) and be in keeping with the sleek look of my bike. Cheers!

Comments

• What car would you buy :!: what stereo :!: what bike :!:

All personal choices, go to a brooks shop and try them, I looked into them deeply and finally ended up with a different make, all persolal choices.

Due to the cost of these saddles I would not offer advice, tyr them.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • ou know your aesthetic and comfort tolerances, we don't. buy the one that looks best to you and best fits your bum.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    I quite fancy a Brooks sadle on my single speed commuter, but there are far too many to choose from. So, I could really do with some advice from you Brooks afficianados. I would like it to be comfortable (ultimately) and be in keeping with the sleek look of my bike. Cheers!

The swift is generally the most "sleek" of the bunch. I have a Team pro (Ltd Red edition) one on my bike which feels very nice and looks reasonable (need to update sig pics).

But as people have already mentioned, saddles are very personal, so it's impossible for us to say which will be most comfortable for you.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • I have the one with springs, it's anti-sleek :P
  • I would suggest the OP should try a B17 Narrow on a road bike with low dropped bars, a standard B17 on a touring bike or sportier straight bar hybrid, or a Flyer (sprung at the back) on an upright commuter or a rigid or hard tail MTB, particularly if going off road at all.

Note these are the basic models in the range but the gains are not that great between these and the more upmarket ones, plus he will probably get all or nearly all his money back if he buys cheap online then sells it on ebay if he does not like it, from what I have seen.

In my experience they are all like boards when new and you cannot tell that well about fit, apart from the basic width, as they mould to you as you break them in. This can take anything from 150 to 500+ miles, but once you get there they are excellent.
  • Thanks lads. I was intending to buy online, hence asking you lot for advice. Good tips there Nigglenoo! Cheers all!
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    A B-17 is a pretty safe choice for a Brooks - it's their flagship model and has been around for more than a century.
  • Hoopdriver wrote:
    A B-17 is a pretty safe choice for a Brooks - it's their flagship model and has been around for more than a century.

Thanks Hoop! Again, that is the simple kind of advice I was looking for and I am extremely grateful for it. A B-17 it is then!