SRAM 2*10 chainsets

ride_whenever
ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
edited December 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got an xt crankset (m770 IIRC) on my 456, if I wanted to go to 2*10 sram x0 in the 26/39 guise could I just put suitable chainrings on the inner and middle ring positions, a bashguard on the outside and use an x0 10 speed mech?

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You mean on your XT chainset?

SRAM alleged the cable pull on their front mechs was subtly different and that it wouldn't work unless you used a SRAM 2x10 shifter. A number of people have found this to be rubbish, but I'm not sure I'd bother, just go 26/39 with your existing set up, it'll work just as well unless you really need a new front mech.
  • Yeah on my xt chainset, ie can i just bolt on the right size rings and go? Will a similar xt front mech handle the jump of 13 teeth?
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    will be fine, i run a 24/38 setup and a standard xt mech, works brilliantly :D
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    You can certainly fit those rings. You don't necessarily have to fit a bash ring. You can buy 4 thick washers that allow you to use your existing chainring bolts. Or you can buy some dedicated single chainring bolts for the middle.

I recommend TA Chinook chainrings. St John Street Cycles sell them.

You may find chainring clearance gets a bit tight though. I converted my chainset to 42/28 and the middle is very close to the chainstay (on a Cove frame). So if you think a 39 will be high enough, then that's a safer option as it should clear the chainstay.

Your front derailleur will be fine with a 13 tooth jump (compact road FDs are similar to MTB and cope with a 16 tooth jump!), but you need to set it accurately, so that you're limiting its 'Low' travel as much as possible, as there is more risk of dropping the chain on down shifts. You want it such that when in your lowest gear, the chain is very slightly touching the FD, without scraping.

Why bother with 10 speed though ? That means new rear shifter, derailleur, cassette and chain. 26/39 with an 11-34 at the back - that's all you need. You'll find with your big ring in the middle, you'll be able to use the whole cassette with it, and end up using all 9 sprockets more than you did before.