Starting A MTB Club

WezC
WezC Posts: 5
edited December 2010 in MTB rides
So, I have slowly over a year ridden less and less, until it's like once a week now and the very odd weekend.

The reason ? everyone else gave up ! There was like 5 of us out all the time, slowly getting fitter (not thinner, but i'll take just the fitness), enjoying just being out there.

After trawling the web trying to find new riding buddies, all I can find is hardcore super fit people who "wait for noone" and when they do wait complain or take the Pee !!

So what I thought was , How Easy is it to start a new bike club ?

Where do you start ?

Any one tried it before ?

I think there has to be a way of getting all us over 40, born again mtb riders together in Devon. We have some great places to ride around here.

If anyone wants to join me to try and get something going on a regular basis, has any ideas about making a club for adventurous but slow riders, give me a shout or point me in the right direction if you are already running something similar..

I musn't get any fatter in 2011, but I can't talk to myself on the moors any more.

Wez.
Sorry if you read this in General already. They told me to repost it here :)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Who wants to join a club?
    Just post here looking for like minded people in the area, specify the type of riding you want to do, and see who's interested.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sounds like a good idea to me im also over 40 & geting fat(er) where abouts you to in devon as im just over the border in somerset so often around the quontocks area .
  • WezC
    WezC Posts: 5
    I am in Exeter. Been on the Quantocks a couple of times. It's a great riding area.

Also been on Exmoor with that worlds longest walk up a hill :shock: Duncery Beacon or something ?

I managed the off road climb on the bike, but the road bit went on forever, worth every bit of effort for the view and the ride back down :D

Wez
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Email the main local newspapers. Invite people to join you. Get their email addresses and mobile phone numbers. Send them details of a first-ever meet/route/coffee stop. Tie in a bike shop that will let you use their notice board or window to post details. Ask the boss to promote your fledgling club. Announce future rides on this forum and in the press - and you're off and running.There are more fat(tish), fortysomething, frightened bikers out there than there are young, super-fit long distancers. Try it and see. Keep us informed.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I was in at the start of a Glasgow Group. Aimed at beginners and the less fit, we have now attracted over 200 members. See link below in my sig. The Meet Up site does cost you money, but it is a very user friendly site, and can talk discussion boards, photo's and the like. A small fee from each member should take care of it (about £100 per year all in)

Alternatively start a Facebook Group

It has been a very enjoyable experience!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • I belong to a local mtb group 'OTH' this stands for over the hill! We are a mixed bunch, some only ride when weather is nice, some are beginners and some enter races but we always ride together and finish together. We ride Sundays on Dartmoor, Haldon etc and other days in hols. The group started out as an over 40's group but now open to younger riders too (though most 40ish)

Give us a look on the rides page here or on our facebook page OTH MTBers.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    I guess it depends how formal you want it. Look at the London Calling thread; we ride together most of the time, we've arranged longer trips away etc. The only thing is, we're not a "formal" club as that wouldn't add anything to the mix
  • a good friend of mine made a club a few years back and its went from strength to strength, we regularly meet up and do other stuff (drink lol) and have nights out outwith the scene, though we do 2-4 runs both mtb and road a week!

we also race in the SXC and have our own forum/website with local sponsors who are also part of the club, thought its local based

check it out for ideas

http://www.mukyriderz.co.uk/