Happy Fail

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Well, will not make my target of 6,000 for the year, will be about 100 miles short. But, you know, I don't mind at all - it's close enough for me to be well happy.

Having to work till possibly 6pm, then, my last commute hope before Xmas, up Maryhill Road, dressed as Santa!! Yes, if you see a cycling Santa Claus heading north out of Glasgow this evening, it may very well be me.

Have a great Xmas everyone!!
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    up Maryhill Road, dressed as Santa!! Yes, if you see a cycling Santa Claus heading north out of Glasgow this evening, it may very well be me.

You'll get mugged :shock: - And watch out for the beard in your front spokes
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    If I wasn't avoiding civilisation like the plague I'd pop into town just to see you as a cycling Santa :lol:

I just logged what will probably be my last miles for 2010. Ended up with a little over 1000 miles for the year. Not all that happy with it tbh, think I could have got closer to 1500 if not more if a) I wasn't so lazy and b) I hadn't been working on site for 3 months.

Am going to aim for 2000 next year though. Try and up the amount of longer rides I do and hope going out motivates me to go out more.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    I'm kind of annoyed with myself. I initially said 5k- a figure plucked out of thin air TBH. That was clearly far too easy, as I've got past 6. So I really should have aimed for 6.5, which would require a 400 mile week....but I'm inclined to go for it, weather permitting!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Well my 6,000 was a pretty tough target as I didn't even get on a bike till February due to leg injury. However I am happy to have got so close, but I don't want to chase the 6k and sicken myself of cycling.

6k will be my target again next year, with the Etape Caledonia, Trossachs Ton and something else for good measure. The more longer runs you do, the more you enjoy it.

I have now bought some wine for the office, so will be a happy smiling Santa on the way home.....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Ah, you beat the shit out of me anyway, Wallace. I ended up with a smidge over 5,000 miles this year. Well done to you, Sir. I hope the Neds don't give you too much hassle tonight.
  • suzyb
    I have now bought some wine for the office, so will be a happy smiling Santa on the way home.....
    A happy smiling wobbling Santa you mean :lol:

I just need to work on my position and back/neck muscle fitness. I enjoy longer runs but my neck gets a sore on them. I'm signed up for the Etape Caledonia as well this year (only 5 months away :? ) but by 40 miles during Pedal for Scotland last year my neck was quite sore :(
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I had that problem after a couple of sportives this summer - dropped my saddle a little and it improved dramatically
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    @SuzyB - if what JDU said doesn't work, can you flip the stem to raise the bars slightly (it'll give you a more upright position)? Or, do you need a shorter stem, so you're not overreaching?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • suzyb
    I'd need to flip the seat post or get a shorter stem I think (I believe it's a 100mm on it). The current stem is already raising the bars.

Although when I'll get the chance to get a longer ride in to test the change I don't know. Stupid winter feels like it's never going to end :(
  • cjcp
    What do you mean when you say "flip the seat post"? Is it like the one on the Cervelo Soloist?

Have you tried moving the saddle forward a little?

If you're getting a sore neck, it'd be worth you getting a bike fit. I had a few problems earlier this year and should have gone for one (may still do in the Spring).
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • suzyb
    tbh I don't know but it sounded good :wink:

I was thinking of getting a bike fit but l'm really not sure I need it. I get a sore back/neck sitting upright in a chair for a few hours (like just now after a few hours of sitting playing the PS3).

And I don't want to spend £120 on something to find out the bike is fine and it's just my weak muscles that's the problem.

btw this is the way my bike is currently set up and the seat is already pretty far forward.
  • cjcp
    If it was bad during Pedal for Scotland, I'd get the fit checked given that EC is only a few months away.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • suzyb
    If I went for a bike fit would I be able to "apply the findings" to my MTB and road bike.
  • cjcp
    You could certainly try, but it's probably best to call a bike-fitter to check.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."