New member saying hi

Highrisedrifter
Highrisedrifter Posts: 21
edited January 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi all

I have been trawling the site for a few hours now and have managed to get some good advice and as everyone seems to be pretty clued up and helpful, I thought i'd register.

I'm still searching the forums for more info at the moment and will refrain from posting new threads on old subjects unless I really can't find the answer I'm looking for.

By way of background, I'm in my late 30s, live in Sussex and am an actor by night and senior civil servant by day (currently anyway, acting is taking up more time so I will jack in the day job next year). My job is relatively sedentary but after a motorcycle accident a couple of years back which put me in a bad way by injuring my left hip and right knee, I need to exercise the muscles in my legs now that I have recuperated enough to get out there.

I've tried out a few gyms in my area but they always seemed to be full of 'beautiful people', so that didn't last very long.

I've been looking at a few bikes, especially the Trek Fuel EX5 and the Specialized FSR XC Comp and I realise that I will have to go out and try them before parting with my hard earned.

I've got about a grand to spend, more for the right bike, and I want a full suspension bike rather than a hard tail (see i'm picking up the lingo already). The reason being, and I may have erroneous thinking here, is that as my legs/hips aren't fighting fit yet, the extra suspension will cushion the shocks to that area and allow me to get fit with less pain.

To be honest, the world of MTB is fairly alien to me having come from old school BMX bikes and there are so many brands and models to choose from. I guess I want something as light as I can get it, with the ability to cushion the shocks as much as it can, from a manufacturer that knows their stuff and is rated within the industry for reliability and build quality, but then don't we all?! Probably a built bike with the best quality frame I can get with slightly lower quality parts that can be swapped out over time.

A lot more research is needed for me I think.

Anyway, sorry for rambling and I look forward to getting my first MTB and posting pics of it in the new year.

Cheers!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Hi welcome
    You probably can't go wrong with either of those, although no doubt the hoards will be along shortly with various opinions, mostly expensive ones.
    I am approaching 50 and recently wimped out and went full sus. Definitely gentler on the body, unless you do heroic jumps etc. I do gentle singletrack and prefer to keep my wheels on the ground as much as possible, so works for me.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Wow, loads of links on to getting new iphone stuff.

He has missed his target market, he should have posted the links in the road bike forum!

+1 on a FS bike, they are more comfortable and more fun. you might be 5s slower than a HT, but you will have more fun riding!
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • piker
    piker Posts: 353
    The trek and specialized are good choices but consider this boardman as well very good spec for the money.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499
  • If you have knee/hip problems, I would go FS. A good place to check is in your LBS (local Bike shop) and see if they have any ex-demo bikes or any old stock. The ex-demo bikes are in perfect mechanical condition but may have paint chips or similar.

The two you suggested are two of the best bikes for that price range.
    Happy Cycling!
  • Ransaka
    Ransaka Posts: 474
    Highrise,

Try Southdown Bikes in Storrington, it's where I got my pitch from last year and they are extremely helpful.

Also, feel free to pop round and try my pitch out for size and to get an idea of what a full susser is like to ride (since I know who you are and I'll be seeing you in a few days anyway!).
  • Thanks all.

I'll have a look at Halfords bikes too. My other half wants to buy a cheap and cheerful MTB so she can accompany me on rides in the summer so Halfords might be a good place to start.

And cheers Ransaka, i'll take you up on the offer of trying your bike next time i'm in your neck of the woods, so to speak. :D

I went to Evans today as it looks like the 'Cycle2Work' scheme will be done through them. I guess it all depends on what limit work are setting on a bike as to where I go and what I get.

I tried at 17" Trek Fuel EX8 as they didn't have any 5's in stock and that felt pretty good due to the fact that my inujred hip means I have reduced mobility and can't swing my leg over a higher bike. I would need a shorter seat tube though as the standard one is still incredibly high even on the lowest setting and I just can't swing my leg over that. Evans did say they can cut down the stock tube by a couple of inches though, which is handy.

I must say the Trek bike is lovely and I'm leaning towards that at the moment. Very aesthetically pleasing and seemed to feel 'right' when I got on it.

I'll try out your Spesh if I may, Ransaka and see what that feels like.
  • HighRiseDrifter,

With regards to your mobility issues, have you tried tilting the bike over at an angle of about 45 degrees, then stepping over the top tube? - this is generally easier than 'cocking your leg' over the saddle with the bike upright.
    I had to do this for a while, when recovering from bruised ribs, earlier this year.

Which part of Sussex are you in, by the way?
    You might want to check out Sussex MuddyArse MTB Club if you are looking for (sociable) rides to take part in.

Good luck with the whole bike/fitness thing.

Bob

If you didn't learn anything today, you weren't paying attention!
  • Hi Bob, thanks for the link and response. I'm right on the south coast just outside Brighton.

Tiliting the bike was the only way I could get my leg over it, to be honest. I was concerned with the fact that even when the seat was as low as it could go I couldn't touch the ground on either side with the bike upright though. My LBS offered to take a couple of inches off the seat tube but that still meant I was resting on the top tube when my feet were flat on the floor. I was concerned about a mishap and sliding off the seat and podding myself! :oops:

Although i'm of average height, I think I will benefit more from a smaller bike. I'm happy to be corrected though as i'm still new to all of this.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    You should be able to reach the floor when your 'bits' are over the top tube, otherwise you'll squash them when you try to get off the bike! :shock:
    But being able to touch the floor when you're on the saddle is irrelevant because you shouldn't be on the saddle while you're stopped. What's more important is the reach from saddle to handlebars and the height from saddle to pedals.

How tall are you and how long are your legs? Different body shapes need different sizes for the same overall height: long legs and short body would probably use a smaller frame so the reach to the bars is shorter, but with a lot of seatpost showing, for example.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I agree with Bails87.

The general rule of thumb, that I use, is that while seated on the saddle and with a pedal at the bottom of its stroke, your leg should be ever-so-slightly bent when you place your heel on the pedal. (Check both legs, to make sure that neither of them are straight, under these conditions)

A smaller bike may result in too much seatpost showing, but a bigger bike may result in you joining the BeeGees :wink: - it's all a bit subjective really and straddling/sitting on the bike is often the only way to tell.

Hope you find something that suits you - and maybe I'll see you out on the trails sometime.

Bob

If you didn't learn anything today, you weren't paying attention!
  • I have just spend £1.5k building my hardtrail mtb

http://sirpatrickmooresales.co.uk/Ourpage.aspx

Have you a specific reaqson why you don't want hardtrail, many top riders prefer them, my only comment, as I have five bikes is that I prefer steel frames, I have three aloloy also, but steel gives a better ride. My opinion.

http://www.sanderson-cycles.co.uk/
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    jeremyrundle - No offence but wow, that's an ugly bike. I know people should ride what they want but it seems you have everything bolted to it including the kitchen sink and the stem off my mum's 1970s shopping bike. It's perfect proof that people should buy what they want and what feels right. I'm sure you'd hate my bikes ;)
  • Atz wrote:
    jeremyrundle - No offence but wow, that's an ugly bike. I know people should ride what they want but it seems you have everything bolted to it including the kitchen sink and the stem off my mum's 1970s shopping bike. It's perfect proof that people should buy what they want and what feels right. I'm sure you'd hate my bikes ;)

I may well but at fifty plus I built what I wanted for the purposes I wish to use it for, also because I have a bad back I need my handlebars higher.

There is another difference between you and I and that is tact, something that comes with maturity and has nothing to do with age.

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Atz wrote:

I may well but at fifty plus I built what I wanted for the purposes I wish to use it for, also because I have a bad back I need my handlebars higher.

There is another difference between you and I and that is tact, something that comes with maturity and has nothing to do with age.

ha ha, touche. but tact is a very rarely used thing on an internet forum :lol:
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    Oh, the problem with me is that I "think" too much, before I reply I ask myself "why" has he/she done that :!: do they have a reason :?:

Someone may ask if a £150 bike is ok, I would never say "cheap C%^P as they may be a single parent on limited funds and have saved for months.

An old manager once said to me

"Speaking without thinking is like shooting without aiming"

Regards

• Thanks all, my reason for a FS rather than HT is that I suffered a motorbike accident a few years back when a drunk driver kindly decided to swipe me off the road and put me in hospital.

Medical advice to me suggested that a FS would be more beneficial than an HT bike whilst I build up the muscles and strengthen my leg/hip.

The doc, a keen rider, said that a HT would more than likely put me off cycling forever as it is less 'forgiving' than a FS.

As I am pretty much fixed now, except for a couple of mobility issues (being able to lift my leg up high enough to get over the saddle, for one) I am keen to get out there and increase my fitness levels. So really i'd like something that has a lot of suspension to cushion the knocks and bumps as much as possible whilst I get fit.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I think the best advice you'll get is to demo some bikes, as they all feel different. If you have a decent LBS (local bike shop) then e if they will let you try some bikes... or see if you can try out a mates bike.

It's also a good idea to be honest about the riding you will be doing, as a light XC bike will be an easier ride than a burlier all-mountain rig... until you head down something steep and rocky.

But have fun choosing, and then get out and ride. I've seen lots of riders out on all sorts of bikes, and as far as I can see any bike that inspires you to get out and ride is a good choice.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building