The ASDA event horizon

2»

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Miller: Oh. My. God. What happened to your eyes?
    Dr. Weir: Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see.
    Miller: What are you talking about?
    Dr. Weir: I created the ASDA to provide groceries for shoppers, but she's done much, much more than that. She tore a hole in our universe, a gateway to another dimension. A dimension of pure chaos. Pure... evil. When she crossed over, she was just a supermarket. But when she came back... she was alive! Look at her, Miller. Isn't she beautiful?
    Miller: Your "beautiful" supermarket killed its customers, Doctor.
    Dr. Weir: Well... now she has more shoppers. Now she has us.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Having an ASDA in or near town is a bit like having a rough pub nearby, think about it, they're decoy establishments to drag in the pond life. It means that the decent pubs are more decent.

Every town needs a decoy pub, and a decoy supermarket :lol:

Oh and nothing wrong with Lidl, the one nearby here is in quite a smart area and it is in no way regarded as a downmarket place. I find it strange the way Aldi and Lidl are perceived. I reckon they're going for the intelligent customer, ones who can see past flash packaging etc.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Not sure where she buys it form but my wife buys packets of ready-grated cheese, partly because it's easy to lob it on the kids' spag bol over the dinner table, but mainly becasue weight-for-weight it's cheaper than the normal stuff. Why wouldn't you? It's not as if the boys will only eat finest Red Leicester or Blue Castello and reject all other processed junk. They can have the decent cheese with a glass of port tomorrow if they want.

+1 on the Alan Coren quote too - I was going to use it but you beat me to it. Coren eh? What a man.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Because he might have been identifiable from the photo I erased that one but refused to erase the one below.
    In a public place, tough, should have kept it and taken some more!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    When I'm shopping I'm too busy trying to find all the stuff I want to notice how pretty (or otherwise) or what class the other customers are.

Most days Sainsbury's, twice a week Waitrose and now and then Asda, since you didn't ask.
    I leave the shopping to the GF, she does most of the cooking anyway. She refuses to shop at Asda, she states the reasons being that the quality of everything is so poor she might as well eat cardboard.

She goes to Sainsbury's or Waitrose, or on the odd occasion to Morrisons for milk etc.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The clientèle at out local Asda (Roehampton) isn't too bad, quite a lot of uni students.

I do agree with the poor quality though. The veg tastes of nothing and the meat is full of water.

It's OK for stocking up on cheap tins and packets ect.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    The wife shops at Morrisons, mind you she works part time there so we can 10 % discount , its adds up to what £500 a year in savings .

When she moans about the cost of stuff i say go shop at aldi /lidl etc and she says she cant get what she wants :shock:

I mean FFS at the basic level carrots and bog roll are the same if its got german or english on the packet .

As for cubed cheese i am afraid the wife still buys the grated stuff , i keep telling her its about twice the price as a block but as i always get out of shopping (done while im at work ) i do not stir to much ......
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    They've just built a Sainsbury's in Morecambe. Does not compute. Morecambe's definitely more the Netto/Lidl/Kwik Save type of clientèle, I'm sure. There's already a Sainsbury's about 4 miles away in Lancaster.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • pianoleo
    pianoleo Posts: 135
    Tonymufc wrote:
    Converesly, anyone ever been to the big Sainsos at the bottom of Sydenham? Trolleys piled high with Cheesy Whatsits, turkey twizzlers and crack cocaine.

:lol:

And my goodness, on the 23rd it was rammed full of them, all fighting over the last bottle of O'Grady's Irish Cream Liquer (Bailey's was out of stock).

Still a better range (and fewer crackheads) than the Crystal Palace/ Upper Norwood branch, or Penge, for that matter, and Sainsbury's DO seem to have the monopoly down here.