Book on bicycle building ?

Freshfunkmeister
Freshfunkmeister Posts: 79
edited December 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there. I want to learn as much as I possibly can about bicycle maintenance with a view to getting good enough to be able to build a bicycle myself from scratch ( obviously buying a frame though ) buying and fitting all the relevant components. Ideally I'd like to go on a course but I simply don't have time for this. Is there a book that anyone can recommend on bicycle maintenance/building ? There are loads out there but I'm not sure which one to go for. Any advice much appreciated.
FCN 5 - Fuji Roubaix 2
FCN 11 - Giant Trance X3

Comments

• Richards Bicycle book
    Park Tools Big Blue Book

If you have the foldables then Barnetts' is the daddy
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Don't bother with a book, as soon as they are printed they are out of date.

Far better to use use websites like Park Tools
  • stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    zen book of bike maintenance (or called something like this) and the blue book already mentioned are the ones everyone generally goes for. Well worth getting. :D
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    +1 on websites.

do not underestimate youtube for a different slant to park tools (both sides of a problem give a better picture).
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    I just got Zinns book for Christmas and its fantastic, really thorough and in depth.

OK a lot of stuff might go out of date when a book is printed, but I'm yet to find much in there, apart from the odd illustration which would hamper my fixing my bike in any way

Highly recommended
  • +1 for Zinns, and you can always you tube or use web sites for additional info or videos if needed.
    Steve
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Zinn is good if you have no idea at all.

not worth the money as it will cover lots of stuff that is just not needed with current bikes. and also as I always say it is out of date as soon as it is printed.

your forks/brakes are unlikely to be covered. and the rest is all on the net for the cost of your connection and some paper.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown