Planet X 50mm carbons campag to shimano swap?

dru
dru Posts: 1,341
edited December 2010 in Workshop
Hi people,

Looking for a bit of help.

Last summer I purchased a set of secondhanf Planet X 50mm carbon tubs. They are on planet-x superlight hubs and have a campagnolo freehub.

I'm looking into possibly running a shimano/sram setup and wondering if either a I can convert these wheels to shimano/sram freehub easily.

I have attached some pictures of the wheels with oyt the cassette on.

Does anyone recognise the hub and then whether or not it is an easy and simple freehub change, or whether I would need to redish etc?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y253/J ... CN0791.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y253/J ... CN0790.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y253/J ... CN0789.jpg

Grateful for any replies able to help.... and yes, I will contact planet x about it and ask the question there, just want to get a general feel for whether its possible etc prior to contacting the vendor.

Cheers,

Dru

Comments

• You could contact Highpath Engineering and see about a new set of spacers to convert a campag cassettee tio Shimano spacing (about £20).
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    First thing I'd do would be to ring PX.

I dunno if this is the right one, but http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/HSF ... eehub-body

£30.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    P-X use a number of different hub models, so check with them to get a compatible freehub. You can respace a Campagnolo cassette - but only Mirage or Veloce where the cassette can be dismantled into the individual sprockets
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    i stand to be corrected but I think that is a re badged american classic hub as fitted to earlier pro carbon wheelsets.

You can get replacement freehub bodies, quite easy to swap but a bit unusual in that the pawls are in the hub body rather than the conventional pawls and spring on the back of the freehub body.
    Colnago Addict!
  • dru
    Thanks all so far for the replies.

I've posted on a few bike forums and it definately looks like the American Classic is the hub in use here.

Unfortunately I can not just respace the cassette as the campag is 9 speed and the shimano/sram setup is for 10 speed..... that said I think I might have a 10 speed campag cassette hanging around which i accidently bought by mistake once (and it's all seperate cogs)

If I go go for the spacer option - is it possible that this gets around the 'redish' question.

Reason I ask, this would allow me to use the same carbon tub setup on both the TT bike (9 speed campag) and road bike (10 speed Sram)

Cheers,

Dru.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You don't need to redish your wheel as it's a freehub - respacing the cassette is certainly easy - all the info is on the Highpath Engineering website in terms of thickness of spacers required.
    FWIW Freehub replacement on an AM Classic hub is easy, loosen a small grub screw and a sharp tap with a mallet and the whole thing comes apart. There are different models of hubs, so if ordering a replacement, make sure you get the right one.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • dru
    Monty Dog wrote:
    You don't need to redish your wheel as it's a freehub - respacing the cassette is certainly easy - all the info is on the Highpath Engineering website in terms of thickness of spacers required.
    FWIW Freehub replacement on an AM Classic hub is easy, loosen a small grub screw and a sharp tap with a mallet and the whole thing comes apart. There are different models of hubs, so if ordering a replacement, make sure you get the right one.

Had a look on the highpath website and it certainly confuses the heck out of me... so won't go down that route quite yet.

I'll have a look into the freehub exchange - as this looks the only way. after PX have comeback and said, yes its an american classic rebadged 205 hub, but they no longer carry the spares for it.

Ta,
    Dru.