Arghhh please help, getting confused now

gowm
gowm Posts: 10
edited December 2010 in MTB beginners
Ok prob sounds silly, im looking to get a new sub 1k bike and after 2 weeks of searching i have come to the conclusion that i know nothing

So here is the question, can someone please list me the components in accending order, like forks etc

I know Rockshock darts3 is bottomish of the list and some fox with a number 32 is high up, but the tora recon reba etc i have no idea what order they go in, then they add silly letters etc, and there is a few common makes that bikes use, how do other makes budget models fit in that list.

Same with gears and brakes

I guess that slx is bottomish and deore seems toppish but then there are different xt and other models

Brakes the Avid ones seem easy, the juicy 3 is bottom ish and the 5's are higher, but i dont have the experiance to know if a Shimano 486 are better or worse etc

Also the bikes im looking are are ( 2010 models where i can get them )

Marin b-17
Orange pure 7
Rockhopper sl expert 10 ( dont really want this as its a bit to common )
Lapierre tecnic 700 ( prob the fave )

Please help before i give up, my LBS were not much use as the only stock trek and the other only stocks giant and neither were overly helpfull

Cheers in advance

Mike

Comments

• thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Shimano kit goes Deore, SLX, XT, then XTR

Rockshox Forks - Dart, Tora/Recon Silver, Recon Gold/Sektor, Reba/Revalation/Lyrik.

Fox Forks - 32 is the stanchion diameter, models are basically R, RL, RLC, then Talas variations.

Brakes, as long as they aren't cable discs you'll be ok.

If you want the best spec for that much money look at Cubes and Boardmans.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • gowm
    iv been looking, is there a sub 1k bike with reba's ??
  • gowm
    Mondraker Podium Pro £1000, this looks like good speks

* Frame: Podium Extrolite Scandium Hydroformed
    * Fork: Rock Shox Reba SL 100mm Remote
    * Headset: FSA Th-848 Semicartridge 1-1/8
    * Stem: Easton EA50 31.8mm
    * Speed: 27
    * Front Mech: Shimano Deore FD-590
    * Rear Mech: Shimano XT RD-772-GS Shadow
    * Chainset: FSA V-Drive Megaexo 44/32/22T
    * Bottom Bracket: FSA Megaexo
    * Cassette: Shimano CS-HG50 11-32T 9s
    * Chain: Shimano CN-HG53 9s
    * Front Brake: Formula ORO K18 160mm
    * Rear Brake: Formula ORO K18 160mm
    * Rims: Mavic Crossride Disc wheelset
    * Front Hub: Mavic Crossride Disc Qr
    * Rear Hub: Mavic Crossride Disc Qr
    * Tyres: Kenda Karma 2.0 Front Kenda Karma 2.0 Rear
    * Seatpost: Easton EA50 31.6mm
  • Specialized Rockhopper Expert Disc 2009
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    gowm wrote:
    iv been looking, is there a sub 1k bike with reba's ??

Boardman Team is £800 and the Pro which is £1k. Or the FS Team which is £1k.

Check out the reviews here.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • gowm
    sounds silly, but i just dont want to buy a bike from Halfords, i have been trying to find an equal in spec and price else where, there is a semi lbs that has a core 50 from 2010 sitting in it, might go try to blag my luck
  • delta5
    delta5 Posts: 265
    gowm wrote:
    sounds silly, but i just dont want to buy a bike from Halfords, i have been trying to find an equal in spec and price else where, there is a semi lbs that has a core 50 from 2010 sitting in it, might go try to blag my luck

Don't allow Halford's reputation to put you off their bikes - the Boardman and Carrera mountain bikes are generally well-made and are often cracking value for money. You just can't rely on some Halford's stores for assembly or servicing.
    My abundant supply of MTFU is reserved for use in dry, sunny conditions.
  • geoff93
    geoff93 Posts: 190
    edited December 2010
    I work in a good LBS and am often seeing Boardmans come into the shop. They are good bikes, and offer very good value for money because of Halfords' buying power, and the fact they cut out a middle man. Buy a Boardman and if you are worried about setup, just take it to your LBS for a quick check up!
    Trek Madone 3.5 (RS80s, Arione)
    Trek Madone 3.1 (Upgraded)
    Ribble TT Bike
    Trek Mamba (Garry Fisher Collection)
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    gowm wrote:

For that kind of money I would be looking at boardmans, as has been said, just pay £20 - £30 to your LBS to get it set up

good bikes
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • aegrey
    aegrey Posts: 15
    Hi gowm, where are you based? Cause I live in Northeast england and my LBS choices were also Trek and Giant.......until I found another LBS dealing with Cube and Scott bikes.
    For £1K I'd recommend the Cube LTD Team. Check the specs online!
    Saracen Ruftrax2 (now only for commuting, later for touring)
    Cube LTD Race 2011
    Specialized Allez Sport 27 2007
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Of course, some LBS are dire too - just because it is not a Halfords does not mean it is any good. Depends on the store on staff.
  • If you want the best value for money on your budget, a boardman would probably be your best choice.

Shame the LMT Pro is sold out now because that looks amazing.

But the pro is same spec for 999 and awesome value, if not the team is also great value.

Plus my halfords is quite good, better than most bike shops round me.
    My Bikes And Me
    A bicycle can't stand alone; it is two tired.