10 Speed

Yeti Baz
Yeti Baz Posts: 64
edited December 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

Currently building a Yeti 575 and I really fancy the new 10 speed system from shimano, but have a few queries that i'm hoping someone could answer on here!

Would I have to use a shimano chainset? As I would prefer to keep my Raceface Atlas cranks and us 2 rings with bashguard

Leads me nicely onto my other query, what would be the best chainring size, cassette to go with? I very rarely use my granny ring on a triple setup hence wanting to move to a double setup, but at the same time don't want to be spinning the cranks to much when flying downhill :D

Would I just be better off sticking 9 speed???!

Any help would be most appreciated

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You'll be fine with your existing chainset. Nominally 10 speed rings are slightly thinner, in practice they'll work just fine.

You may as well have the 11-36 cassette, or there's very little point in going 10 speed. Chain ring choice is very personal. I ran 28/42 last year, and going 36t single ring for next season. 26/39 is SRAMs more 'trail bike' friendly ratios!
  • Ive just bought the Anthem X1 2011 with the shimano 10 speed set up, its great - the thing I notice the most is that the gears are a lot closer together and a lot smoother.
    42/32/24 - 11/36

I am having a bit of an issue in that the lowest gear is higher that what I am used to but other than that I am v happy with it.
    Remedy 9, Anthem X1
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    VC, looking at your other post, your lowest gear on the Anthm is lower than it was before - DOH

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • VC, looking at your other post, your lowest gear on the Anthm is lower than it was before - DOH

Simon

yeh i'm seeing that :) replied to your post
    Remedy 9, Anthem X1
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    I speculate that 10 speed will cause grief as the chains are getting too thin (why did we even move to 9 speed?) faster wearing rings as well!

I will not be going ten speed for a while!
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?