Body Weight...

SteveR_100Milers
SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
edited January 2011 in Amateur race
I've just read your blog Colin (Pokerface) and I have exactly the same issue with inclines. I have enjoyed reading it thus far, I hope you keep it up, but am particularly interested in how you will reduce and keep your weight down!
Good luck!

Comments

• jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    I'm loving the blog as well, have subscribed in my RSS reader.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I've just read your blog Colin (Pokerface) and I have exactly the same issue with inclines. I have enjoyed reading it thus far, I hope you keep it up, but am particularly interested in how you will reduce and keep your weight down!
    Good luck!

Thanks Steve!

I think every cyclist suffers from the dreaded body weight issue. We all want to lose a few more pounds!

Keeping the weight down isn't the hard part - it's losing it in the first place! But it's slowly coming off and as it's still ages to go until racing season, am quietly confident that I will be in tip-top condition next year!

What I'm personally most interested in is if it will actually make it easier to keep up on the hilly races!
  • Me too.

I have lost about 5kg since my disastrous attempt at RRing last Easter, but whilst I was beating riders in TTs, I was getting dropped like a stone on hilly club rides, even though I was strong on the flat. It's been a small benefit, and not as great as I had hoped, so my target is now to get to around 85Kg (assuming no muscular weight gain). Problem is that I am enjoying the track thing so much, that I have become less focused on weight!
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Steve

Even if you weighed the same as a road racer, there is a chance they would still drop you on a climb. I was the same weight as one of our good club racers, and because he was used to attacking hills, he could leave me for dead on the climb, yet because I train to be a good TTer, I could leave him on the flat.

Unless you train to go up hills fast, you will always be behind, unless you weigh very much less.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    To get better at climbing you practice them and do hill repeats. The weight definitely helps but not as much as getting out and doing the miles. Technique and correct gear selection can improve your game also so don't focus too much (on the weight) more on the whole aspect of your cycling.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Half my turbo sessions are being done in the climbing position as main target is a hilly TT next April.

It does make a difference.
    I hope to be 5 kg lighter than I was at the same event this year too..
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Half my turbo sessions are being done in the climbing position as main target is a hilly TT next April.

It does make a difference.
    I hope to be 5 kg lighter than I was at the same event this year too..
    Which one is that Nap? Nelson Wheelers 50.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    I used to be a reasonable climber when I rode previously (not great but able to stay in on climbs in races) I've put on about 20kg since then and now climb like a lead balloon. Weight obviously has a lot to do with it although the biggest issue is that my fitness has dropped dramatically since then and I suspect my power output is also lower meaning my power to weight ratio has got hugely worse! Weight must surely make a huge difference but I would also agree that it takes a special ability to go hard uphill no matter what weight you are.
  • I have never been a "climber" even when I was 80Kgs in my 20s and probably more powerful than I am now. At best I could hang in with a pack. Half the "fun" of bike racing is finding a discipline or aspect of it that you are good at (or least bad at as in my case) and then dish out some pain revenge!
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    edited December 2010
    i weigh around 71/2 kg in the off season, and am about 6"1.

the weight comes down a bit for TTs, but i don't worry about it unduly, i just ride and train like for like; a few intervals, the usual.

in the run up to hillclimb season i focus more clearly on weight; it becomes my main concern. i alter my eating habits over a period of time and tend to get down to around 67kg. i also train specifically for hills, vomit-inducing repeats, lots of base mileage up hilly things in july and august, moving to intensity work in september. i have to add, that all year round i do hilly rides, it's a part of my commute.

it makes a big difference, especially over the longer climbs that i tend to favour, lacking the explosive power of an elite sprinter, for example.

i guess what i'm saying is that significant limiting factors affecting your prowess as a mountain goat are excess weight and hill avoidance, none of which is rocket science. tackling hills and losing weight requires quite a lot of focus and dedication.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    I have never been a "climber" even when I was 80Kgs.......
    How tall are you, Steve?

Ruth
  • BeaconRuth wrote:
    How tall are you, Steve?

Ruth

6ft 1
    In my 20s I really had little body fat - I had the physical appearance of someone trained, my waist was 30" I have a large build though, wide shoulders and torso; my chest is 44"

I'm hovering around 91-92kgs for last 6 months, waist is 34-36 ish. I suspect that a loss of 10Kg and I would start to look somewhat undernourished, anything below 90Kg and I would be happy. If you use BMI as an indicator then even 85kgs is supposedly significantly overweight which in my case is not correct.
  • peejay78
    true about the bmi - at my weight I can go down to around 63kg before it even suggests I might be slightly thin.

in reality, that's pretty much emaciated.
  • Pross
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    How tall are you, Steve?

Ruth

6ft 1
    In my 20s I really had little body fat - I had the physical appearance of someone trained, my waist was 30" I have a large build though, wide shoulders and torso; my chest is 44"

I'm hovering around 91-92kgs for last 6 months, waist is 34-36 ish. I suspect that a loss of 10Kg and I would start to look somewhat undernourished, anything below 90Kg and I would be happy. If you use BMI as an indicator then even 85kgs is supposedly significantly overweight which in my case is not correct.

Sounds pretty much identical to me - difference being you are obviously fitter and putting out much more power as my TT times are way, way slower than yours!
  • BeaconRuth
    peejay78 wrote:
    true about the bmi - at my weight I can go down to around 63kg before it even suggests I might be slightly thin.

To be honest I suspect most people would call you emaciated at 67kg. That's two stone lighter than Steve when he's claiming to be very thin with a 30" waist - and you're the same height as him.

I think we've probably been over this territory before, haven't we Steve? Probably best not to go there again.

Ruth
  • peejay78
    but he said he clearly has a large upper torso - 8 inches wider than me - therefore no point really comparing.

anyway, thin, certainly, emaciated, no, fast uphills, yes. 67kg is a target weight for a short season of races; running from september to the last weekend in october.
  • BeaconRuth wrote:
    peejay78 wrote:

To be honest I suspect most people would call you emaciated at 67kg. That's two stone lighter than Steve when he's claiming to be very thin with a 30" waist - and you're the same height as him.

I think we've probably been over this territory before, haven't we Steve? Probably best not to go there again.

Ruth

If we do I might die of starvation!! I really couldn't imagine losing much more body weight when I was in my 20s, certainly only 2-3lbs at the very most. Mind you, I am basing this on a measured body weight of 13st 5 lbs on a random pair of bathroom scales, whose accuracy may well not be. Maybe it is worth revisiting, as I am sure there is a good few Kgs of surplus body fat on me at the moment....and I'm getting fed up with cutting a huge hole in the air for a whole bunch of riders who simply take advantage wth 2 laps to go!
  • jonmack
    While everyone is talking size thought i'd chime in.

Height: 6ft1ish
    Weight: 66kg
    Chest: 35in
    Waist: 29in
    Hips: 34in

However my power lacks massively, so while I have the build of a climber, I have pretty much no power at all.
  • BeaconRuth
    jonmack wrote:
    While everyone is talking size thought i'd chime in.

Height: 6ft1ish
    Weight: 66kg
    Chest: 35in
    Waist: 29in
    Hips: 34in

However my power lacks massively, so while I have the build of a climber, I have pretty much no power at all.
    Crikey, everyone's 6ft 1 round here! I've just finished writing up a consultation with a rider who is 6ft 1 too.............. spooky........

Ruth
  • jonmack
    I measured height just for you Ruth :P I'm 183cm, so pretty much 6ft on the dot.
  • BeaconRuth
    6ft and only 10st 5lbs. There must be more fat on a butcher's pencil........... :lol:

Ruth
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    six two, 71Kg's. :wink:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Fanis
    Fanis Posts: 101
    edited December 2010
    i am 194cm and 99kg's
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    OMG 6ft and only just over 10st!

:shock:
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    When I was racing I was 63kg and 5'4", a bit heavy for a good climber but never had any problems in the pack. Always near the front pushing it. However, I was always amazed at how well some big guys climbed. They must have had something special that had nothing to do with how big they looked. It must have been their engine (heart & lungs) and how hard they trained. I have never trained with big guys like that but would loved to have. Some courses suited the big guys and they gave me a pasting but then there were courses that suited me so I returned the compliment. So, what I am saying is it doesn't matter what you look like ,with in reason, you're not going anywhere if you haven't got the engine.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • Jeez, there are some seriosly light folks here!!

186 cms
    92.3 Kgs this am
    44" chest
    34" inside leg
    35" waist
    FTP estimate at 280-300 ish watts - no wonder I cant climb for brown stuff!
  • im 6ft 1 and im JUST above 9 and a half stone!

YEAH, i just can't gain weight!
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • Pross
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    6ft and only 10st 5lbs. There must be more fat on a butcher's pencil........... :lol:

Ruth

When I was racing in my early 20s I was 6' 1" and 10st 10lbs - yes I was very skinny but still quite broad shouldered and there were plenty of thinner people racing against me!
  • jonmack
    im 6ft 1 and im JUST above 9 and a half stone!

YEAH, i just can't gain weight!

I know how you feel, it's only since I left uni I actually started to put on a bit more weight, and now I seem to stay here!
    Pross wrote:
    BeaconRuth wrote:

Ruth

When I was racing in my early 20s I was 6' 1" and 10st 10lbs - yes I was very skinny but still quite broad shouldered and there were plenty of thinner people racing against me!

63252_138943622825489_100001295551257_194779_6719837_n.jpg

Early 20's, 6ft, 10st 5lbs, skinny with broad shoulders!
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878

:lol: Yeah, Fabian Cancellara is a bag of antlers isn't he?