Snapped chain

dannyflounders
dannyflounders Posts: 3
edited December 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey,

I had my Kona Cinder Cone '08 sorted by Evans Cycles a few months ago - they put on a new chain and adjusted my gears to stop them slipping.

However, recently my chain started to slip again then just suddenly snapped as I was accelerating.

Does anyone know why this happened? Do my gears just need adjusting again so the chain is aligned properly?

Thanks a lot

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675

Does anyone know why this happened?

your chain started to slip and then snapped.

you should have looked to see what was happening and they you would have seen what was wrong.

Maybe if your gears are not working correctly.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • lack of chain lube?
  • Unfortunately I didn't know it was about to snap off in busy traffic, otherwise I would have pulled over and looked.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Replacing a chain and indexing the dérailleur is basic maintenance.
    What, if anything, did you do between the two events?
    Check, adjust, lube, clean, nothing?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • If its a shimano Hg chain then its normally lack of lube on the joining pin causing it to stiffen up when travelling through your rear mech causing it to shift.. Easy fix! fit a sram! :)
    You can't make a donkey a race horse but you do end up with a fast donkey!

Meta 55
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    robkillick wrote:
    If its a shimano Hg chain then its normally lack of lube on the joining pin causing it to stiffen up when travelling through your rear mech causing it to shift.. Easy fix! fit a sram! :)

Err easy fix learn how to fit a chain.

Also did you know Shimano chains can come with a Quicklink. :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The chain on my commuter nearly went, a pin started to come out, poor shifting, picked it up straight away, the pedalling load on single side plate was bending it, link replaced with a powerlink and sorted, I'm sure had I carried on it would have 'snapped' (or at least dissasembled itself, as no part as strictly broken).

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    The strongest affordable chains out there are KMC x9, normally have to buy online but worth it. If you cannot get these SRAM 991 CROSSTEP (not normal 991) is also exceptionally strong, but quite expensive.

IMO the riveting methods on most SRAM and all Shimano chains did not survive the move to 9 speed. Which is one reason that they fail.

no idea what causied this fail, but odds are with an X9 or a crossstep, it would not have snapped.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?