Derney

SteveR_100Milers
SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
edited December 2010 in Track
Did a 3 hour session at the weekend, first time I have ever done it. Great session for building speed and pedalling speed, but hard. If i can avoid being too lazy over xmas, then its TL racing in Jan!

Comments

• great way to train

at reading we use the dernys every week great fun for everyone!

plus we have derny racing every month at the track league
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I have never ridden behind a derney. I do, however, get to train behind a tandem. And those guys go just as fast! :oops:

I have trained on the road behind a mini-van. 40-50MPH on the flat. That gets your legs spinning!
  • I've only ever done a few laps behind the derney on my induction at Manchester. Hope to be doing some proper sessions once I've done a few SQT's. What sort of speed do you get up to behind one?
  • Richa1181 wrote:
    I've only ever done a few laps behind the derney on my induction at Manchester. Hope to be doing some proper sessions once I've done a few SQT's. What sort of speed do you get up to behind one?

The session that I did started off with a drill of train station - 20 minutes at 28mph, 15 @ 29, and 15 @ 30.

In all three drills the max speed was 30, but that is a relatively "easy" session. (not that it felt easy to me
  • Sounds pretty quick to me, guess it's not that bad if you're in a line of 20 though?
  • Richa1181 wrote:
    Sounds pretty quick to me, guess it's not that bad if you're in a line of 20 though?

Never more than a line of 6, thankfully. Even 30mph is relatively "easy" right behind the bike, but 4+ [places back and the old elastic train starts bouncing which means constant kicks of 30+ to hold a wheel, this is the bit that takes it out of you (me). A paceline of 20 would be a killer!
  • Is it Newport you ride at? Think I might have to start riding there as there's never less than 20 in the line at Manchester over the winter!
  • Richa1181 wrote:
    Is it Newport you ride at? Think I might have to start riding there as there's never less than 20 in the line at Manchester over the winter!

Yes at Newport. It wasn't a drop in or open session though, i.e. deliberately limited to 25 riders.