New person look for advice

Dom_500
Dom_500 Posts: 4
edited December 2010 in Commuting general
Hi all,

Just joined the forum properly after spending a few months browsing the site.

Anyway i am looking for a new bike for my commute to work, it is appx 7 miles each way and it mainly road and a little bit of canal path.

As it will only be hack to work i have a budget of £300 and i am mainly looking at the carrera subway hybrid from halfrauds.

Does anyone use one of these? or have an alternative suggestion?

Thanks Dom

Comments

• Hi, I had a Carrera Subway for a few months last year and it was a good bike for the money, think I paid around £230 for the basic one with v brakes. I quickly started to crave more speed on the road during my 6.5 mile commute especially as a friend I commute with bought a B'Twin road bike from Decathlon and I struggled to keep up as the Subway showed its MTB roots. I then bought a B'Twin Sport1 for £270 from decathlon which was much faster and more suited to road riding. I now ride a cyclocross bike which I find perfect for commuting although these start at around £400 for the revolution cross. Don't be put off by drop bars, I hardly ever ride on the drops but find the multiple hand positions ideal for commuting and longer rides.

The Carrera Subway is a good bike but there are other options. As i said in a previous post though, it's difficult to chose the right bike first time but if you buy any of these and look after them you'll always get a good price for them if you decide to sell them on.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/sport-1-54-57-69567468/

This would be more suitable if your canal towpaths are a bit rough
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 155c018341

or if you really don't want drop bars
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/fitness-2-54-57-69567264/
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There is no right bike, just the right one for you for your commute!

The Subway will do your commute very well, but its not a very fast bike and more suited to a 'pootle', if that is you, you'll probably be very happy with it, if its not you, after a while you'll feel frustrated.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I know it can be a bit of a minefield but I'd recommend people look for a secondhand bike. You'll get loads more for the money (assuming you aren't on a bike-to-work scheme) and, as soon as you get it out of the shop, your bike will be secondhand.

I bought a secondhand Focus Cayo recently to upgrade from my ex-demo Focus Variado. The bike was half the "new" price, in as-new condition but had upgrades of handlebars, saddle, pedals, Cateye computer, 2x carbon waterbottle holders, spare tyres & inners and had just been serviced. It even had the original box and instruction manual.

For £300 quid you could be looking at something that was well over twice that when purchased.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Try bumblebee auctions the POLICE lost/stolen auctions, some good buys here
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • I've bought a few bikes off eBay over the last year and have generally been very pleased. It's a bit of a gamble, but if you are careful you can get some great bargains.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    The subway are great bikes for the money assuming that the guy at halfords set it up ok.

I had one for 2 years and i only just swapped it for another roady ( doh just in time for the worst snow in years ! )
    FCN 3/5/9
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    The subway are great bikes for the money assuming that the guy at halfords set it up ok.

I had one for 2 years and i only just swapped it for another roady ( doh just in time for the worst snow in years ! )
    FCN 3/5/9
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    My own commute is about 7 miles each way & during better weather can often involve some canal towpath & off road route.

I've recently had to buy a new commuter following a smidbl wrting my hack off.

My (stress my) preference is for 26" wheels & disk brakes - I also wanted proper mudguards & pannier rack. I seriously looked at the Subway 2 before settling on a Revolution Courier Disc (there is also a non-disk version, which is a bit cheaper).
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • RichK wrote:
    (there is also a non-disk version, which is a bit cheaper).

And better. The hassle I had with mine! Just as I sold it I twigged that the Tektro discs didn't allow much margin for error and the frame did not line the brake calliper up very well with the disc, which caused annoying rubbing. My advice: if you are going for a cheap bike then keep it simple where the mechanics are concerned (single speed). Either that or be prepared to make upgrades.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    RichK wrote:
    ....following a smidbl wrting my hack off.

:-)... Sympathies, but :-) on the abbreviation, nonetheless...

Cheers,
    W.
  • Thank you all for your helpful responses, which have got me thinking.

In regards to drops, i dont really fancy them as i am quite a big and would rather be sat up slightly even if it does sacrifice some speed.

I have done some more reaserch and have now started looking at bikes with 700 wheels, quite like the look of the Felt QX 85 and yes i have managed to streach the budget out a bit but i am sure her in doors wont mind much :lol:

I really wanted to purchase the bike before we all get stung by the VAT rise, so i am off to my local bike shop tomorrow to try a few different bikes out to see what feels right.