exposure Maxx D mk3

2»

Comments

• Anymore new posters expected to turn up on this thread and promote the Maxd?
  • I will no doubt be slammed shortly but all of the people who have the Exposure light and rate them don't seem to bother to post as they will inevitably be told that they are stupid for spending so much money on a light when they could've bought 20 XPG torches from China for the same amount.

I have:

1: Ultrafire P7 "900* lumen torch (more like 350L)
    2: 1x MG XPG 450 lumen torch
    3: 1x MaxxD Mk3

All are very good - as I can afford option 3 I would NEVER bother with the torch route as my main light (I bought the torches for fun and use them for the stuff). Torches are perfect on the lid (once you cure any battery wobble).

Of course, if you like spending loads of time fiddling with mounts, testing batteries and generally building stuff you might like torches (hopefully not setting fire to your house). Equally, if all you can afford is the torches they also do a great job.

I also find it odd that magazine reviews are often used to support threads like "what steel hard tail to buy" - but totally ignored when it comes to lights. Interesting dichotomy.

I believe the mag reviews are typically 4 or 4.5 stars - as a buyer of a Maxx D I'd say that sounds fair - it is certainly how I'd rate it.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Don't assume people go for the cheap option because they can't afford the expensive one ;)

Realistically the magazines cannot advice people to buy lights that are not approved for the UK market.

But to correct misconceptions there is no greater risk charging an 18650 in a digital charger or using it in a single cell light, protected or unprotected, than there is charging or using a UK specified light.

In fact any multi-cell light has an increased risk due to the nature of the configuration. In addition even the top end lights don't apply the lessons learned in manufacturing laptop batteries to reduce fire risk. That is to say, individual cell charging and thermal protection/detection for each cell.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    diy wrote:
    Don't assume people go for the cheap option because they can't afford the expensive one ;)

Realistically the magazines cannot advice people to buy lights that are not approved for the UK market.

But to correct misconceptions there is no greater risk charging an 18650 in a digital charger or using it in a single cell light, protected or unprotected, than there is charging or using a UK specified light.

In fact any multi-cell light has an increased risk due to the nature of the configuration. In addition even the top end lights don't apply the lessons learned in manufacturing laptop batteries to reduce fire risk. That is to say, individual cell charging and thermal protection/detection for each cell.

Yet MBR reviewed a Trout light, singing it's praises but with a few critisms too!
  • diy wrote:

Conveniently ignoring the first part of this statement:

"Of course, if you like spending loads of time fiddling with mounts, testing batteries and generally building stuff you might like torches (hopefully not setting fire to your house). Equally, if all you can afford is the torches they also do a great job."

Go on - tell me you don't like to tinker :?:

So far I haven't managed to torch :P the house with my 18650s but if you check the web (or run a Sony or Dell laptop of a certain vintage) you will be familiar with the concept - when 18650s go itcan be pretty exciting- you need to be careful around the charger you buy and the safety precautions you take. Is everyone listening to you that carefully? :wink:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    So far I haven't managed to torch the house with my 18650s but if you check the web (or run a Sony or Dell laptop of a certain vintage) you will be familiar with the concept - when 18650s go itcan be pretty exciting- you need to be careful around the charger you buy and the safety precautions you take. Is everyone listening to you that carefully?

Seems to be different views here lol. As on lights in generally:
    Of course, if you like spending loads of time fiddling with mounts, testing batteries and generally building stuff you might like torches

I have to say the 60 seconds attaching it to the mount, and zero battery issues took a lot of my time up :wink:
  • diy
    uk_stretch wrote:

Go on - tell me you don't like to tinker :?:

So far I haven't managed to torch :P the house with my 18650s but if you check the web (or run a Sony or Dell laptop of a certain vintage) you will be familiar with the concept - when 18650s go itcan be pretty exciting- you need to be careful around the charger you buy and the safety precautions you take. Is everyone listening to you that carefully? :wink:

Well of course I like to tinker :D:lol:

But seriously what batteries do you think are inside the top end lights?

18650 is just the name of the cell due to its dimensions. There is nothing exciting about an 18650 over say a 17335 (which is what I think is in the exposure piggyback).

wrt to dell and sony packs, I thought I'd already explained why they now have individual charging circuits, thermisters and thermal controls. Its due having groups of parallel and serial batteries which causes the risk. Single cells are much safer, because the cell is charged and monitored individually. Granted the Chinese chargers have only basic thermal control.

But they are no different to the charging circuits inside a mobile phone.

Wrt to your other point, you stated because you can afford X you wont bother with Y. Thats not the first time someone has used the argument "well I can afford it".
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    diy wrote:
    I thought troutie was UK based.

He is but I don't think he's had his approved like you said is the reason why the torches aren't tested in magazines.
  • diy
    Ah OK, I understand now. He is required to comply even if he doesn't. Its in the plug and gizmo's act (proper name escapes me right now). I think troutie's packs are 4S4P, so I hope there are some thermal controls in there. TBH I think batteries are the weakness of the troutie.
  • diy wrote:
    Wrt to your other point, you stated because you can afford X you wont bother with Y. Thats not the first time someone has used the argument "well I can afford it".

You miss the point - I was expressing my opinion - I said I wouldn't bother. Sorry I missed the bit that says you're not allowed your own opinion on here. I never said anyone else should buy a Daddy - it is up to them to weigh up the facts and make their own decision.

Yup I know all about the battery standards, yup I know you need to get a decent charger - and so on. And no I didn't need to hear it from you. Who is making assumptions now?

And yes, on SSonics point, some people buy torches and have no problems (the one I got from China is OK, the one I got from the US is very good) - others have dead LEDs, problems with chargers/bateries, rattling batteries, loose connections in the switches, dodgy build quality in the LED drop-in/driver and emitting very low light - and so on - just trawl the threads on here to find a few "help!" messages. That is where the time comes in.

<Opinion>
    I like the fact that it takes me 5 seconds to get my lights on the bars and I can charge the light without unscrewing a torches and messing with batteries. I'm confident that the light and charger have been QA'd to a high standard. I never ride at night for more that 3 hours so I don't need anything longer running. I could afford it. That is why I choose to run a Daddy.
    </Opinion>

YMMV (and clearly does)
  • I've now tested 4 exposure lights on two separate occasions.
      Joystick Diablo Toro MaXx-d

My conclusions about each light so far:

Joystick: expensive for what you get (in comparison to other exposure lights). The light isn't all that bright and only give a visible area of around 1=1.5meter in diameter. I've used this on its own and in combination with a MaXx-d. On it's own it's not really usable, I had to ride much slower than normal and didn't feel confident at all. In combination with the MaXx-d it's ok but I still found certain situations where I needed more light on my head.

Diablo: this light is one of my favourites, the same power as the Toro but light enough for helment use. It's downside is only 1 hour of battery life on full power. I've tested this on it's own and in combination with a Toro. On it's own at full power there was a decent amount of light, enough to ride at about 80% of normal speed. When used in combination with the Toro I used the Diablo on it's medium setting to give 3 hours of burn time. This combination is great, I had plenty of light in all situations and didn't once feel like I needed more light even on very tight switch backs. The Diablo give more of a wide beam than the Joystick so you have better peripheral vision.

Toro: this is the same as the Diablo but with longer battery life, and it's bigger. I found it gave plenty of light mounted on the handle bars and never felt like I needed anything more.

MaXx-d: this light is pretty bright, however, I really don't see the need for it. I could tell it was brighter and had a slightly better spread than the Toro but found this made literally no difference when riding. When used with the Joystick I still found I wanted more light in very tight sections due to the Joysticks narrow beam.

I'm going to buy a Diablo and a Toro tomorrow as I found them to be the best combination. Part of me wants to get the MaXx-d just because it's more powerful but I just can't justify the extra cost when it doesn't make any practical difference.

Hope this helps other make a decision on which lights to buy
  • diy
    edited February 2011
    Are you happy with the weight and run time on the diablo?

its about 1.5 hours.
  • diy wrote:
    Are you happy with the run time on the diablo?

its about 1.5 hours.

As I'm running it on the helment with a toro on the bars I'm using it on the medium setting which gives it about 3 hours, the same as all the other lights on max, and it's still plenty bright enough. The diablo on medium is still far better than the joystick on full.
  • diy
    Sorry edited while you were typing..

a CREE XPG light is a good choice forgetting the price for a moment.

worth googling foride CREE XPG if you were tempted by the maxx-d, but didn't like the price
    XPG_foride.jpg
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    diy wrote:

worth googling foride CREE XPG if you were tempted by the maxx-d, but didn't like the price
    XPG_foride.jpg
    nice looking light but are they actually on sale anywhere or only available direct in large quantities ?
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • diy wrote:

Haha, I noticed that! I couldn't see anyone selling those lights, google was mostly returning the LED's themselves.

It's not really the price of the MaXx-d thats the issue, it's that I don't find it any more useful while riding over the Toro so getting it would be a waste of £40-50 that I could be spending on burgers or penny sweets.
  • diy
    They are available in single quantities. direct from various manufacturers in HK, Korea and America. But since cost isn't the issue, its probably not worth posting up the details.
  • Yes I do :) Not really looking to save money, getting the toro/diablo combo for £380 from my local shop after they (almost) matched online prices.

I like the exposure lights for their build quality and customer support. The number of times I've wrapped myself around a tree I doubt most other lights would last long in my company. I also like the all in one design and the ability to plugin extra batteries, rear lights etc.

I like Apple stuff too which might explain why I like the exposure lights.
  • diy
    Fair enough we all have the brands that we like and are willing to pay for.
  • An old thread I know, just wanted to add an update on anything I've previously written as this thread seems to come up alot when searching about exposure.
    The light although functioning as expected until now, it has developed a fault. Despite many people saying about good service and repair from Exposure, The light was sent back as requested during emails to them, with a warrenty/returns card completed describing fault.

I also included a more detailed description of the fault I was experiencing, typed up, printed on A4 paper and put inthe box [return card only allows for brief description].

10 days later, the light is returned to me, exact same issue as when sent with a card stating 'several tests done, no fault found'!

The service repair people must be blind! It happens within seconds of switching it on.
    So I now have an expensive paperweight it would seem.

See for yourself:
    View: http://youtu.be/JWehecmskzs
    2007 Trek 6500
    2010 Specialized Allez Elite
  • diy
    Watched your video - looks like a fault with one of the cells. Only easy way to tell is to open it up and check the voltage and current when it runs and then check the voltage of each cell.

If all cells report same voltage, then issue is charging circuit. If one cell reports lower voltage issue is with the cell.
  • Thanks diy.. I was thinking something similar.

I use Lipo batteries alot in RC aircraft, and have done for years. One thing I've experienced with multi-cell packs is balancing for longevity and performance.
    In my experience with the RC stuff, failures are normally as a result of individual cells voltage dropping to low as a result of cells not being balanced, then not taking a charge.

I am going to give them a call tomorrow. Hopefully, I can arrange for it to get sorted.
    If not, maybe I'll consider breaking it open, or someone else having a look.
    2007 Trek 6500
  • diy
    Exactly - always a problem on a light with a multi-cell pack with sealed cells. Depending on the cost of repair it might be worth cannibalising for a project light. The drivers should drive XM-L2s and the cells can easily be replaced. Could turn it in to a decent light for 20-30 quid.
  • Well, I contacted Exposure, they apologised. 

It is being sent back to be checked again. 

I have been offered £25 compensation in the form of an accessory of my choice. 

Hopefully, the problem can be rectified this time.

I just bought a Solarstorm x2 to get me through the next couple of weeks.
    2007 Trek 6500
  • For those interested, and for any potential future exposure customers reading through old posts.
    Exposure have now resolved the problem.

I don't know specifically what was wrong, only that there was a component failure. I don't believe the battery was changed. Problem was likely due to a failure in the charger damaging something.

I had a call from them before everyhting was sent back to ensure the problem was fixed. From the conversation, I believe that the mistake first time round was that the charger was tested, and the charging curcuits with not alot else. Hence the outcome, 'after tests all seems ok'.

Seems a bit daft to me that you wouldn't fully test it? Maybe thats just me.

So, everything has now been put right FOC along with a new charger, release mount, and a micro red-eye.
    I return to being a happy Exposure customer, but can't help but feel a little more care should have been taken the first time round.
    2007 Trek 6500
  • paul20v
    paul20v Posts: 267
    Glad its sorted
    And good of you too follow up on a thread :D
  • Just a big up for exposure. I have a diablo , cannot fault it, mounts well to helmets and bars, bright as hell, bombproof (dropped it In a car park puddle, crashed with it etc) and to top it off it came in a nice neoprene case!