Which singlespeed chainsets will work with a EBB?

Jez3113
Jez3113 Posts: 12
edited February 2011 in Workshop
Hello,

I'm doing what every forum i've read recommends you avoid - turning an old frame with vertical dropouts into a fixed gear bike...

It's an old Kirk Precision that i have got a Forward Components EBB for. The problem is knowing what single speed chainset will work with this set up. Anyone have any experience with these EBBs and know which single speed chainsets are compatible??

On the Forward componants website it says any hollowtech chainset is compatible, but i don't know any hollowtech chainsets that are single speed. All the singlespeed/fixed web shops only seem to have old style square taper chainsets...

It's for use on the road.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    any crankset can be suitable for use as a single speed.

just take of the rings you dont want and fit one that you do.

if fact the only thing limiting you is the width of the EBB. is it 68mm? if yes no probs help yourself.

just be aware that the granny ring mounts, if an MTB crankset, may need attacking with a file.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've been waiting 6 weeks for an EBB from Forward Components and I'm getting a little frustrated - I would recommend them for anyone outside of North America - it's apparent they don't understand the concept of sending goods abroad. Tr!ckstuff will be getting an order shortly if it doesn't arrive by the weekend.

Back on topic, you can't use old square-taper cranks - there's simply nothing to fit to - you need to use an external bearing chainset, Planet-X do a track chainset that is compatible for £99. Alternatively, get a regular double chainset and miss-off one ring. or but anything with a GXP BB e.g. Truvativ, SRAM or Bontranger which has a stepped spindle requires an adaptor bush. Also some FSA chainsets might need spacers
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Doh of cause my mind was slipping there. so any 24mm axled crankset :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Shimano Alfine is a singel chainring model for outboard bearings.
    Note Hollowtech is a crank arm manufacturing thang, NOT a bearing or spindle standard.
  • Thanks very much guys.

My Bottom bracket chell is 68mm.

The Planet x one looks ok, but a bit pricy. I might go for the Alfine, although i'm a bit worried about the chainguard getting in the way of the chainline (i presume its designed for off road?).

Monty dog - I had to wait for weeks and weeks for my Forward componants EBB, then i got stung by the import duty and VAT. An expensive lesson! I hope you can get round it somehow. However the design and quality of the EBB is excellent. I'll let you know how it rides when everything is put together.

Thanks again!
  • Monty Dog
    The Alfine chainset is more for road/leisure bikes rather than MTB - the chainguard is plastic - but it shouldn't cause any problems. Chainline is 42mm which should be fine for a track hub.

If my EBB doesn't turn up by tomorrow, I'm simply putting in a claim with Paypal as it's been 45 days since I placed my order - communication is very poor and they don't offer a tracked/expedited delivery service even though I offered to pay extra. They said they put a replacement in the post 2 weeks ago, but I have little hope. I'll probably order an Excentriker from Tr!ckstuff in Germany and with Germanic efficiency it'll arrive in days I expect.
  • Monty Dog
    EBB turned up today :-)
  • Monty Dog
    I can confirm that FSA Gossamer chainset works fine with Forward EBB. The Forward EBB is a really nicely machined unit - the quality of the threads is very good so you might need to get the threads chased on an old frame as they are very snug.
  • Sorted!

The forward componants EBB works perfectly with shimano alfine chainset.

All works beautifully.

The black alfine looks really good, all shiny and lush. The chainring must be perfectly round cos i haven't noticed and tight spots.

Thanks for your help.