Which weather forecast do you use?

Nifer
Nifer Posts: 102
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Did a search for a similar thread, nothing came up.... hopefully not a pearoast!

I use:

metcheck
BBC
met office
yr.no
TWC

Today I have had all five up - they all say something different so I usually go with the one I like best.

TWC says snow in Bristol tomorrow! :D

Comments

• I only use the BBC. It seems pretty reliable, although it does seem to have been stuck on "bastard cold" for the last few weeks.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/index.asp has its moments. loke nifer i like the one that suits me best
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    I use BBC, but with the London microclimate, it can often be very wrong.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • I use the good old favourite....open the curtains and look out of the window :lol:
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    Met Check (when it works) seems for us to be very accurate, and way better than both the Met Office and the BBC (which use Met Office data I believe) which are both wrong more often than not.
    "Coming through..."
  • Nifer
    Metcheck used to be spot on, but earlier this year it seemed to go really off the boil. Major technical reliability issues as well, but would be good if it's back up to scratch like you say.
  • I bought a rather fetching "Ferrari" branded Oregon Scientific weather station (it was cheap on eBay). Great for augmenting the "look out of the window" system (I find it difficult to judge temperature by sight - especially through triple-glazing). Getting the clothing right is the most (only?) important bit. The Beeb have got it hopelessly wrong recently -

They said: 0C and 10mph winds with fog

It was: 10C and 25mph winds
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Its a great game to play. Use as many whether forcast sites as possible and pit them in a battle to the death to work out which one is correct!

It's amazing how they can all have totally different results!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I use the Met Office iPhone app. It's generally pretty good.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • The iPhone temperature app (Presslite one) is actually very good - always within a degree or so of the temp my weather station says...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    BBC and metcheck - they usually say something different to each other, and they're both usually not exactly right, but I can get a rough idea of what's going on by looking at both.

One day last week BBC said heavy snow, met check said sunny, it turned out to be a bit overcast and drizzly...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    They all get there information from the same place, the only difference is how it is interpreted
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    I use the good old favourite....open the curtains and look out of the window :lol:

+1
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    can anyone recommend a decent android weather app?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    gaz545 wrote:
    They all get there information from the same place, the only difference is how it is interpreted

Depends - most come from the Met Office which is as good as it gets. Some have their own 'systems' - but these are about as useful as the old lump of stone on a string.

Might as well get the data from source - Met Office. It's not as pretty as some but it is the best.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    JackPozzi wrote:
    can anyone recommend a decent android weather app?

Weatherbug is the most accurate, but I use Beautiful Widgets because they have a clock/weather widget thingy that I like.

The weather info comes from Accuweather for Beautiful Widgets.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    Rolf F wrote:
    gaz545 wrote:

Depends - most come from the Met Office which is as good as it gets. Some have their own 'systems' - but these are about as useful as the old lump of stone on a string.

Might as well get the data from source - Met Office. It's not as pretty as some but it is the best.
    +1
    The Met office is the best in my opnion.They have to be as they do the shipping&marine forcasts&these are the most accurate forcast by a long way.I would think they also have the largest network of weather stations for data.So you might as well get it from the horses mouth.
  • The BBC seems to predict worst case weather - I think they're afraid that someone will leave home without an umbrella and get her hair wet. I've got a met office gadget which gives a better idea and links to surface pressure charts which give me clues about where the wind is coming from - I think it's generally easier to relate the weather to the wind direction so that's the first thing I tend to look at. (xcweather.co.uk is good for a quic overview of wind direction.)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    XC Weather

The BBC forecast is too generic
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • fishz
    fishz Posts: 20
    Just started to try out http://www.netweather.tv/ - seems OK so far, but the jury is still out. Beeb and Accuweather up until now, but looking for something more accurate for London.
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    MetCheck on the PC / Laptop and WeatherPro HD (very good) on the iPad
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Used to use Metcheck but their systems seem to fall over all the time. Normally use the Met Office site these days
  • Nifer
    To all those peens making jokes about "looking out of the window" - it's not exactly a forecast, is it now? :lol:
  • How far ahead do you need your forecast. I'm not taking the mick when i agree with looking out of the window. But if its a longer distance/time, I'll be prepared for a change in the kit I wear or carry.

Whichever service you pick theres a chance it'll be wrong so I'd rather trust my own preparation than someone elses best guess
  • Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • Nifer wrote:
    To all those peens making jokes about "looking out of the window" - it's not exactly a forecast, is it now? :lol:

Just HOW long is your commute? :wink:
  • I have accuweather on my android phone so i most often use that, however if i'm in the house i'll just use the little weather station (when it works).
  • NormalD
    NormalD Posts: 145
    edited December 2010
    www.metcheck.com is reasonably accurate for a 7 day forecast. I also use www.meteox.co.uk for rain radar. Knowing whether it's going to rain/snow in the next 3 hours or so is often very useful.
    Normal Disk 2009

Genesis Equilibrium Tiagra 2011

FCN 10 (only cycle in once a week though)

Alfa 156 SW
  • Nifer wrote:

well, my commute is 6 miles and about 30 mins give or take for traffic. I can see buildings beyond my end point from my flat...therefore I can see the clouds/windspeed/rain etc....therefore it IS a forecast for ME fo rmy purposes. :wink:
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    BBC and premium edition of Rain Radar (willitraintoday.com) - especially good for dodging rainclouds for a sprint home.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.