Bar Tape - Which one?

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited December 2010 in Road buying advice
Looking for something with a bit more cushioning than the standard Cube tape that came with my first bike. Any suggestions? Is it easy enough to fit myself and how many rolls would I need?
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• you'll need 1 pack (ie two rolls) pretty easy to do if you take your time and watch the youtube videos.

Any cork tape will be okay, i quite like the SRAM stuff, and the FSA stuff but cinelli is probably my favourite.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Leave your old tape on and just put some new stuff over the top!
  • Cinelli gel tape.
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    Alternatively, check out the gel pads that you fit under regular tape, such as made by Specialized or Fizik. The fizik is my personal preference as it seems really robust, I had to swap the pads over to new bars last week and its as good as new.

This gives you the option to use any tape you like, and again my preference in Fizik Microtex - hard wearing and easy to keep clean, but most importantly very stylish.
  • ajb72 wrote:
    Alternatively, check out the gel pads that you fit under regular tape, such as made by Specialized or Fizik. The fizik is my personal preference as it seems really robust, I had to swap the pads over to new bars last week and its as good as new.

This gives you the option to use any tape you like, and again my preference in Fizik Microtex - hard wearing and easy to keep clean, but most importantly very stylish.

+1
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    Specialized tape is really nice.

I may be hijacking here - but has anyone ever been able to get hold of the BMC embossed bartape that comes on a new BMC bike?
  • bcss
    bcss Posts: 174
    ajb72 wrote:

+1

+1
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you want squishy, there's Specialized Bar Phat or for something a bit more hard wearing, use some Fizik Microtex over gel pads. For bar-wrapping look on ParkTool.com or YouTube. My tip is to wrap the bars and cables first with electrical tape - the bar tape doesn't stick as strongly and means you can wrap and unwrap a lot easier - I've re-used Microtex for a number of years this way.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • AlanW
    AlanW Posts: 291
    bcss wrote:
    ajb72 wrote:

+1

+1

+1
    "You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
  • CrackFox
    CrackFox Posts: 287
    I like the look and feel of Deda Elementi tape. Personally I don't like Fizik Microtek at all but it seems to be popular.
  • AlanW wrote:
    bcss wrote:
    ajb72 wrote:

+1

+1

+1

+1
    "Orbea, Bianchi, Ridley, Van Nicholas, Planet X, Niner. My Euro-bike menagerie was going well up to the last 2..."
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Chris McG wrote:
    AlanW wrote:
    bcss wrote:
    ajb72 wrote:

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1
  • Only ever used Spesh Bar Phat. Vibration dampening par excellence. Also, as they really are 'phat', they give you a bit more for your hands to grip. Nice and cushioned feel when really hauling on those drops (which isn't actually all that often in my case!)

The only thing I'm disappointed with is the colour. Only available in black, last I checked. White would look extra bling on my bike, innit...??

That said, these Fizik gel inserts seem a good alternative, and a set of those plus Fizik tape in white would probably set my Arione off nicely. I'll probably be trying that next.

Also heard good things about Lizard Skins, though the feel isn't for everyone. Available on wiggle in myriad colours I believe. Never wrapped meself so facing the same prospect shortly. I like the tip about the electrical tape. I'll be doing just that.

Best of luck - especially with the wrapping - and let us know what you plump for.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Thanks for all the advice. I think I shall go for the Fizik with Gel pads. As I ride alot on the top of the bars I hope the extra cushioning across the top will help. Will be going for Red tape, currently have white, and while very blingy its a pain to keep it looking good.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Velonutter wrote:
    Chris McG wrote:
    AlanW wrote:
    bcss wrote:
    ajb72 wrote:

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1, amazing tape, the 2 year old stuff on my trek still looks new, and I only use it in bad weather, and its been through 2 crashes with only minor scuffs!
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Velonutter wrote:
    Chris McG wrote:
    AlanW wrote:
    bcss wrote:
    ajb72 wrote:

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

=5 (if you dont count the first post)
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    SheffSimon wrote:
    Velonutter wrote:
    Chris McG wrote:
    AlanW wrote:
    bcss wrote:
    ajb72 wrote:

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

=5 (if you dont count the first post)

+1 :D
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    bar phat with gel pad here. i like a thick grip point to spread the load. works well, soft feel.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Just to add I have white Fizik Tape on my best bike and after over 3000 miles it still looks as good as the day I fitted in, quick scrub with a nylon brush when you wash your bike and it comes back like new.