Yellow cards to stick on cars

shouldbeinbed
shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
http://road.cc/node/28616

Hopefully a Christmas slow news day story.

Bad Idea IMO ignoring the fact it'll p off the clarksons (meh) they're not going to be stopping there and then so won't twig what its about unless they think back over their journey (unlikely) and it implies we're either riding with these in hand ready for quick flick of the wrist (not safe) or are going to be able to chase down/detour to find the bad driver, in which case stopping and having a quiet word would be far more effective. How many left hooks do you want to go after magnet in hand?

Also if we start doing this, what will the response be from the driving fraternity to their perception (right in many cases too) of our bad cycling?

A sticky label slapped onto our back(side) as they go past at 30+? no thanks, been taken off by a happy slappy dickhead before now. I don't want to give the knuckleheads out there any legitimacy for their bad attitude to us.

I could also see it becoming a top trumps thing as that sort of car user competes with mates to get the most of them by deliberately provocative and antagonistic driving around us.

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Not cycling related per se, but ahem, a friend, once used letter punches on a small sheet of aluminium to spell out a message of admonition to a complete and utter fucktard and his driving/parking/stereo-volume habits and pop riveted it to the middle of his bonnet.

Behaviour was modified. :twisted:
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    SimonAH wrote:
    Not cycling related per se, but ahem, a friend, once used letter punches on a small sheet of aluminium to spell out a message of admonition to a complete and utter fucktard and his driving/parking/stereo-volume habits and pop riveted it to the middle of his bonnet.

Although a fairly high-risk strategy unless you know exactly who owns the car in question.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Don't worry, my friend knew exactly who's car it was.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Yep - bad idea...
  • drays
    drays Posts: 119
    SimonAH wrote:

:lol:
    2014 Planet X Pro Carbon
    2012 Boardman Hybrid Comp
    2010 Boardman Pro Hardtail
    c1994 Raleigh Outland MTB
  • So beyond a bad idea it is astonishing.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    In my weaker moments I've thought the idea of a bunch of stickers with epithets daubed on them to affix to the windows of drivers that have wronged me in some way. But really, the best thing you can do is try to not let it bother you...
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    It is one of those things that seems like a good idea but there are too many practical problems

First, pulling out a magnetic thing from a pocket at the appropriate time. My summer jerseys are ok for this as they have several back pockets. But in the winter this isn't the case.

Second, after a fucktard has cut you up, I don't know about you but i wish to avoid them. But this implies that catching them up and riding close to their bumper would be the thing to do.

Third, the magnetic thing might be harmless and non abrasive. But drivers are not. Any one touching their "precious" is often met with extreme aggression.
  • One way to test the wisdom of this idea: would you, as a car driver, think it sensible to have a stock of these that you could lob out your window at white vans, taxis, or any other road user who had cut you up?

Or a velcro or adhesive version to lob at cyclists, moped riders or motorcyclists who had similarly annoyed you?

Not really.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Magnetic turds might be more useful and satisfying....
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • Chiggy
    Chiggy Posts: 261
    Jaguar XJ drivers are exempt of course.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    vorsprung wrote:

Third, the magnetic thing might be harmless and non abrasive. But drivers are not. Any one touching their "precious" is often met with extreme aggression.

But how would many cyclists feel if someone plastered their bike in unwanted stickers?

If someone has done something accidentally and not realised it, the card is useless because they won't know what they've done. You're better off speaking to them, or just leaving it. If they've done something on purpose, then they know what they've done already so what's the point of putting a magnet on the car?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Crap idea.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    this was on this forum previously - ie in last few days. not sure which section it was in
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Stupid idea. Being sanctimonious never works, just p1$$es off the driver. Either forget it or, if you're biult for it, use massive aggression at next lights.
  • spen666 wrote:
    this was on this forum previously - ie in last few days. not sure which section it was in

Didn't see it or wouldn't have bothered duplicating.

Are you so helpful in pointing out the same thing on the numerous what tyre/bike/glove/light/route threads?
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    An idea straight out of the lunatic asylum.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.