Following a Trail?

Mr OCD
Mr OCD Posts: 382
edited December 2010 in MTB beginners
How do you do it?

I want to do this as its five mins away...
http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/routes/?bp ... ffe-Bolton
2009 Carrera Fury

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It's trail,not trial btw :wink:

Buy an ordanance survey map, or find a site where you can print them off. Then mark out the route on the OS map. Then make sure you know how to use a map and compass. Then go and ride!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Mr OCD
    bails87 wrote:
    It's trail,not trial btw :wink:

Buy an ordanance survey map, or find a site where you can print them off. Then mark out the route on the OS map. Then make sure you know how to use a map and compass. Then go and ride!

Yeah sorry ... :oops:

Well I'm an IT freak so was hoping for a digital solution... :oops: :lol:
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Well, you can buy GPS things. Garmin, Satmap and others make them. They're a lot more expensive than a map :wink:

You have to plot the route, or download a .gpx file and put it on the device, rather than following it like you would with an in-car satnav.

Also, there might be software available for your phone.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Mr OCD
    bails87 wrote:
    Well, you can buy GPS things. Garmin, Satmap and others make them. They're a lot more expensive than a map :wink:

You have to plot the route, or download a .gpx file and put it on the device, rather than following it like you would with an in-car satnav.

Also, there might be software available for your phone.

Just downloaded MotionX for my iPhone ... seems pretty cool

I don't need to follow a route directly but a means of getting on to it and going in the right direction would be a good start :lol:
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Think of it as an IT problem, learning to read maps and navigate properly is pretty useful and all it is is old IT hardware ;) I wouldn't mind a GPS when I'm lost, but then again, I've found some great trails after wandering off track.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Get 'Trails' and 'EveryTrail' (free version) for the iPhone

In Trails, you can load others trails via Bikely, Everytrail etc and even put in urls for sites where .gpx files are
    In Everytrail you can plot your own then submit them to the site for others to see/use

I bar-mount my iPhone and follow the routes that way. Once I know the routes I can lose the phone (not literally!)
  • I use memory map for iphone and it gives full os mapping. you get a certain no of credits to open up mapping with it for nothing. the free maps were enough for me to unlock everything i needed for my main routes.
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • get an OS map and explore................who needs technology
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    who needs technology

The people who made the OS maps
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Point taken.

just wary of exploring with just a reliance on GPS. If it goes down then navigation skills are neded?
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Memory maps is the best software I am aware of.
    It does everything I can think of every needing.

mmtracker is the android version.

Iphone version is stripped down compared to the android and winmo version.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • give http://bikeroutetoaster.com/ a try it saves .gpx or .tcx

orux maps is free on andriod 20 diffrent types of maps all saveable for offline use. carry a spare battery if you can. remeber not to spend all your time looking at the screen, if you wounder off the trail you never know what you might find

looks like an good ride might do it myself while im over in prestwich
    Spes rockhopper 09 FCN 9
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    just wary of exploring with just a reliance on GPS. If it goes down then navigation skills are neded?

For all the years GPS has been around I have never met anyone that has said there GPS has gone down but I have met a few people who have lost there map. :lol:
  • For all the years GPS has been around I have never met anyone that has said there GPS has gone down but I have met a few people who have lost there map.

classic!!!

will agree that i probably live a little in the past...........