Garmin 500 types

littleking02
littleking02 Posts: 132
edited December 2010 in Road beginners
I am in the market of buy the Garmin 500. As I have the Team Garmin Bike, I thought I go for the same colour. But its good £50 difference between the team Garmin version to the normal colour. My question is, is there any difference between them? or is it just the colour?
ITS BY DOING WHAT EVER, THAT YOU BECOME WHOEVER!

Comments

• Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Just the colours im afraid. There was a nice package that had all the gear (cadence, HRM and Jersey) for a semi-reasonable price if you want to look co-ordinated. Here is one minus the jersey though.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Get the regular blue one. No one will notice and you'll save a load of cash.
  • Chiggy
    Chiggy Posts: 261
    I thought about buying a Team Garmin 500.
    It looks like gold inlayed lapis lazuli. Quite natty. Looks like a third dynasty Egyptian mobile phone.
  • Does that mean that you can be buried with it and it will navigate you through the underworld?
    The older I get the faster I was
  • cheers guys. I think I will just settle with the normal one. Garz, I thanx for the link but I found way cheaper than that by looking around minus the jersey ofcourse.

2 more questions, I dont need to buy map just like for the 705? I just need to pre-plan myroute and it will give the bred crumbs of my route, right?

2nd, If I have cadence installed on the bike how would I know its being picked up if the GPS fail every now and then?
    ITS BY DOING WHAT EVER, THAT YOU BECOME WHOEVER!
  • Pokerface
    cheers guys. I think I will just settle with the normal one. Garz, I thanx for the link but I found way cheaper than that by looking around minus the jersey ofcourse.

2 more questions, I dont need to buy map just like for the 705? I just need to pre-plan myroute and it will give the bred crumbs of my route, right?

2nd, If I have cadence installed on the bike how would I know its being picked up if the GPS fail every now and then?

Garmin 500 doesn't have maps. Nor can you pre-program routes. I believe you can 'race against yourself, if you've ridden the same route before and want to compare as you go, but that's it.

If you have a cadence sensor, the Garmin will tell you it's 'found' it every time you turn it on - and if you have cadence displayed on your screen, will continuously display the figure.
  • I've a Garmin 500 and have created routes which can be followed as a bread-crumb trail although there are pages on the 500 that give you turn by turn directions (i've found they remind you to turn about 100metres after the junction...I'd like to think that's because I ride so fast :lol: ). It will also beep to let you know when you are 'off course' so you stand a reasonable chance of not getting too lost (you can always see where you are relative to the route you've planned).

It's easiest to find a 3rd part web-site to create a course (I just searched for Gramin course creation on google) as I still haven;t found a way of maping a new course in Garmin Connect which I think they need to sort out. Some sites will even upload the route directly to the unit for you. You can achieve the same thing by turning a route you've already ridden into a couse through Garmin Connect which you can then use as a 'virtual partner'.

Fore reference, my Wife got me mine from a small online retailier east anglia way (sorry can;t remeber the web address): £185 inc the cadence and HR kit which was the cheapest I had found by a reasonable margin and better then the likes of Wiggle/Chain reaction etc.

Hope you find this of some use!
  • Pokerface
    ^--- My Garmin manual words it as though you can only follow a route that was 'previously recorded by your Garmin' - and I took that to mean you could only do a route that you had ridden before.

So you are saying that you can simply map out a route and upload it to the Garmin? And then follow directions? (News to me, but useful info).
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    You can upload new tracks to the Garmin 500, it displays the route as a line and tells you when you go off route, how far you are off the route and how long it estimates it will take you to get back to the track.

Almost useful.
  • Garz
    Pokerface wrote:
    ^--- My Garmin manual words it as though you can only follow a route that was 'previously recorded by your Garmin' - and I took that to mean you could only do a route that you had ridden before.

So you are saying that you can simply map out a route and upload it to the Garmin? And then follow directions? (News to me, but useful info).

Yes Colin.

This was left off some website descriptions as they were old information but it does do the turns or other additional alerts if you map your own routes.
  • Pokerface
    Sweet. I may give that a go and program some routes!
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    http://ridewithgps.com/
    This site works directly with the 500 and you can create routes. It is also presents your ride info better IMO. You even get gradients all the way round. You just loose the temperature info.
    Google maps as well.
  • You can get the 705 bundle for 220 from amazon at the moment if you want navigation (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Edge-705-GPS-enabled-Trainer/dp/B001690VC6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1293110740&sr=8-1)
    There are a few companies doing the 500 bundle at around £185 but I decided to play safe and buy from amazon for £10 more as these companies seem to have some interesting returns/moneyback conditions
  • Garz
    The ridewithgps site seems to experience problems and says someone will get in touch. :(
  • John.T
    Working fine at the moment. Not had any trouble with it before.
  • Garz
    John.T wrote:
    Working fine at the moment. Not had any trouble with it before.

Had to use Internet Explorer and another e-mail to get it working. It didn't take to chrome.
  • John.T
    Firefox is OK.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    You can create courses with the 500 rather than routes FWIW.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • John.T
    antfly wrote:
    You can create courses with the 500 rather than routes FWIW.
    Only by riding them first or importing from another scource. You can create on ridewithgps (and others) then export it to the 500. You still don't get maps though, just the breadcrumb trail.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Yep, if i'm not mistaken you can plan a route with lots of different mapping software but it has to be converted to a course to upload it. If you can be bothered you can add turn by turn directions in Garmin TC.
    Smarter than the average bear.