Track Wheel Options?

AlanW
AlanW Posts: 291
edited December 2010 in Track
I am looking to replace my OE Fuji wheels on my Track Pro and need some advice please?

I have a budget of around £600 (give or take) and so far have narrowed it down to a few options:

Pro-Lite 50mm Carbon Rosa

Navigator Carbon Pista

Mavic Ellipse

My preferred choice would be to go down the tubs route, which then knocks the Mavics out, unless someone can suggest otherwise?

So any thoughts on the above wheels, or even other options that I should consider?
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Comments

• Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    It sort of depends where you are planning to ride/race.

I've posted this comment several times in the past but if you are going to rely on one set of tubs, you will have to compromise on what works well on an indoor track and what is tough enough for outdoor tracks. I've ended up with specific indoor and outdoor set ups.

The Ellipse wheels make good outdoor track wheels or good indoor training wheels.

I have several variations of the Navigator Carbon Pista wheels, both clincher and tub along with 16 and 24 spoke front variants. The 24 spoke versions are very good, particularly with a bearing upgrade.

I've not had any experience with the Pro Lite wheels but suspect that the rim is the same as the Navigators.

BTW, keep your OE wheels for training/warm up/race spares - you will eventually discover that you can't have enough track wheels. I think my collection now stands at 12 wheels! :shock:
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.