V Brake Woe

carl_p
carl_p Posts: 989
edited December 2010 in MTB beginners
My first post in the MTB section so please be gentle.

I'm a roadie and know little about v brakes. Today I switched tyres on my MTB to Knobblies to get a few miles on the dreadful roads etc. What I did was release the noodle so I could get the wheel in between the brake pads only to discover that when I reconnected it the brakes were far too tight and rubbing on the rim. Is it necessary to do a full adjustment every time you release the noodle, or is there something simple I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks.
Specialized Venge S Works
Cannondale Synapse
Enigma Etape
Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...

Comments

• Check that the end of the noodle is clipped fully into the noodle holder (about 3/4mm of the end of the noodle should poke through):

21o8pxy.jpg
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    has the outer cable come out of the barrel adjuster on the brake lever end?

also is it (outer cable) correctly seated at the pipe end?

Is the pipe correctly seated in it's mount on the V brake arm itself?
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Andy B wrote:
    has the outer cable come out of the barrel adjuster on the brake lever end?

also is it (outer cable) correctly seated at the pipe end?

Is the pipe correctly seated in it's mount on the V brake arm itself?

Yes it did come out and the cable went really slack. Probaly because I sqeezed the lever when the noodle was released? :oops:

The rear brake was working fine until I released the noodle, but as soon as I reconnected it, it all went wrong. As far as I can tell the noodle is seated correctly in the holder.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • Stuy-b
    Stuy-b Posts: 248
    wheel not back in straight?
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    are both tight? eg is one caliper rubbing and the other not? To answer the question, removing the noodle from the noodle holder and replacing should not effect the brake at all.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    V brakes often centre poorly so run on one side only. but if both sides.

check the cable at the brake end as well, and all the stops on the frame, the outers might be loose somewhere.

the solution of course is disk brakes, they never have this problem, just completely different problems.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?